Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: re-chambering carry ammo after dry fire

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    A 1911 having an issue with something? I'm surprised /s

Seriously though, I've done this with a gen2 17, multiple gen3/4 19s, gen3 21 and now a gen3 17. Zero issues.
    I believe you. I've never had any setback issues with my 9mm glocks either - just that 1911 with 230gr Gold Dots.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Pistol rounds can be re-chambered a few times and be fine.
    I was broke and carrying a 1911 so I definitely rechambered my cartridges more than a few times... Probably dozens.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I believe you. I've never had any setback issues with my 9mm glocks either - just that 1911 with 230gr Gold Dots.

I was broke and carrying a 1911 so I definitely rechambered my cartridges more than a few times... Probably dozens.
    In the GA case tehnofficer likely chambered the round at least 200 times. He had small kids and unloaded / r-loaded his duty pistol every day. This is why we issue our people lock boxes instead of cable locks.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Pistol rounds can be re-chambered a few times and be fine.

Bullet set back is one issue. Repeated "taps" on the primer causing failures to fire are another potential issue. There is a documented case of this occurring with a pistol round in an LE incident but follow up investigation revealed the Officer had been unloading and reloading the same round daily for nearly a year.

Primer "tap" is more of an issue with AR's due to free floating firing pin. Rifle rounds in an AR are one and done for me.
    @Tom Givens is currently not recommending more than 2 re chambering due to the possibility of multiple hard impacts crumbling the primer wafer. Remember that upon chambering, that round is taking 3-4 hard impacts from the breech face, feed ramp and slide locking up.

I would bet his rec is on the conservative side of things, and Claude's method is likely pretty safe. I mark my cases with a sharpie and will dump them into the training bin after the second or third mark. So far I have only had one FtFire from one of these rounds and it was with Golden Sabre from when I still carried a 1911.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been rechambering my carry / duty ammo for more than a decade/daily. Never had a single issue, highly doubt I'll ever have a single issue. Use quality ammo and you won't either.
    Same. No measurable setback with my 147 HST.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

When I carried a G23, it took about ten rechamberings for the bullet (federal 165gr Tac) to set back.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    @Tom Givens is currently not recommending more than 2 re chambering due to the possibility of multiple hard impacts crumbling the primer wafer. Remember that upon chambering, that round is taking 3-4 hard impacts from the breech face, feed ramp and slide locking up.

I would bet his rec is on the conservative side of things, and Claude's method is likely pretty safe. I mark my cases with a sharpie and will dump them into the training bin after the second or third mark. So far I have only had one FtFire from one of these rounds and it was with Golden Sabre from when I still carried a 1911.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    So does anyone else out there just follow the slide home softly on a full magazine to gently feed the top round in the chamber? I follow it up with an open palm to the backplate (gadget in my case) to make sure I’m in battery, of course and then top the magazine back off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by martin_j001 View Post
    I use a method that, if I remember correctly, I originally heard about from Claude Werner. Each time a round is to be chambered, I mark the back with a sharpie. When a round has 4 marks on it (a "cross" around the primer basically), it can no longer be rechambered. I rotate through the mag until all rounds have 4 marks on them. This full mag is then shot at the range on my next trip out, and new rounds are loaded up to repeat the process.
    This ^^.

I’ve measured and measured OAL in my Glocks, MP9, P30 and VP9 and have yet to note any setback (Hornady, HST and Gold Dot). I still do the above for a few reasons. 1. Better safe than sorry. 2 Primer damage and better safe than sorry. 3. If you dry fire enough it should give you a stream of defensive rounds to run through during live fire days. This IMO is probably just as important as the safety ones.

Quote Originally Posted by martin_j001 View Post
    I use a method that, if I remember correctly, I originally heard about from Claude Werner. Each time a round is to be chambered, I mark the back with a sharpie. When a round has 4 marks on it (a "cross" around the primer basically), it can no longer be rechambered. I rotate through the mag until all rounds have 4 marks on them. This full mag is then shot at the range on my next trip out, and new rounds are loaded up to repeat the process.
    I do this as well. I figure if rounds in a revolver can take 4 or 5 solid whacks from the other rounds going off then my 9mm rounds can take 4 or 5.
    Last edited by Irelander; 10-24-2017 at 12:00 PM.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

There is a lot of good info here. I think I will follow suite and start marking my casing with a sharpie. Thats basically 2 months of reloading everyday before I would wear out a single mag in my carry weapon.

I had HST for duty ammo for many years, it's good.

I'd only recommend cycling out your carry ammo once a year or if it's been in water for a long period of time.
    Do you still carry HST? If not, is there a reason why you switched? The only issue I have with it, is its super hard to find on the shelves. Seems to always be out of stock.

User Tag List