Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: re-chambering carry ammo after dry fire

re-chambering carry ammo after dry fire

I have a question about re-chambering the same round in my carry gun. At the present moment I only have one handgun and I use it for everything including dry firing, range practice and concealed carrying. Dry firing is usually done every day give or take two. I rotate the carry rounds in the mag so its not the exact same round but is this going to hurt my carry rounds? I haven't noticed setback with any of my rounds. Is there a different way to go about re-chambering a round after dry fire practice or cleaning?

I use a method that, if I remember correctly, I originally heard about from Claude Werner. Each time a round is to be chambered, I mark the back with a sharpie. When a round has 4 marks on it (a "cross" around the primer basically), it can no longer be rechambered. I rotate through the mag until all rounds have 4 marks on them. This full mag is then shot at the range on my next trip out, and new rounds are loaded up to repeat the process.
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

Some additional info here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ding-HD-Weapon

I use the method suggested by @martin_j001.

Thanks for the replies. I am going to try this because this seems a lot more reasonable and cheaper than never re-chambering a round.

I've been rechambering my carry / duty ammo for more than a decade/daily. Never had a single issue, highly doubt I'll ever have a single issue. Use quality ammo and you won't either.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I've been rechambering my carry / duty ammo for more than a decade/daily. Never had a single issue, highly doubt I'll ever have a single issue. Use quality ammo and you won't either.
    I carry HST 124gr. which is high quality to my understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorris View Post
    I carry HST 124gr. which is high quality to my understanding.
    I had HST for duty ammo for many years, it's good.

I'd only recommend cycling out your carry ammo once a year or if it's been in water for a long period of time.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    You definitely can have an issue depending on the caliber and firearm type, even with good quality ammo.

Way way back when I first got my carry permit, I carried a 5" 1911 in .45 ACP. I definitely noticed bullet setback with repeat chambering; likely a product of the nose of the round hitting the feed ramp. 9mm in Glock pistols, not so much of an issue. I still try to avoid it out of principle.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    You definitely can have an issue depending on the caliber and firearm type, even with good quality ammo.

Way way back when I first got my carry permit, I carried a 5" 1911 in .45 ACP. I definitely noticed bullet setback with repeat chambering; likely a product of the nose of the round hitting the feed ramp. 9mm in Glock pistols, not so much of an issue. I still try to avoid it out of principle.
    A 1911 having an issue with something? I'm surprised /s

Seriously though, I've done this with a gen2 17, multiple gen3/4 19s, gen3 21 and now a gen3 17. Zero issues.
    VDMSR.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post

Pistol rounds can be re-chambered a few times and be fine.

Bullet set back is one issue. Repeated "taps" on the primer causing failures to fire are another potential issue. There is a documented case of this occurring with a pistol round in an LE incident but follow up investigation revealed the Officer had been unloading and reloading the same round daily for nearly a year.

Primer "tap" is more of an issue with AR's due to free floating firing pin. Rifle rounds in an AR are one and done for me.
    Last edited by HCM; 10-24-2017 at 09:03 AM.

User Tag List