Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Left with CF, Center with RF

My guess is that you do like I do: that is, you push that trigger over instead of straight back. When the striker falls, that pressure you put on the trigger allows your shot to snap left (when firing right handed) juuuuuust enough to throw your shot. The further back you go, the more pronounced the shot pushes left.

When I would dry fire at a spot on the wall of my living room, I could see the front sight jump just a tad to the left when the striker fell.....and I then knew it is my trigger finger pushing left. When I really focus on that trigger press, the front sight won't move at all. I have to sort of "pull" the trigger to the right as I am pressing back AND I have to keep my trigger finger from the knuckle to that first joint pointed straight ahead. I've noticed that if that part of the finger isn't pointed at the target, my shot will go left at the 25 yard line.

Really hoping that makes sense to you.

Dot torture drills are also a tremendous help to keep me from pushing left. I can usually shoot a clean dot torture at the 5 yard line IF I do this trigger press method. If I don't, I'll throw one left and since I am right up on the target, it's instant feedback to my foul ups.

My guess is it is your finger/press. You trip that striker and during the fall, your finger pushes the gun to the side. We see it a whole lot at the PD I work at.....so much so that 90 percent of the troops think the M&P just "shoots left" and nobody works on it. When we went to Glocks, it helped but we still have folks throw shots.

That Avery trigger stripe drill mentioned above might be a big help too.

When back to the range tonight to try out some of the suggestions, no real break through.

I played with trigger finger placement and grip sizes with no noticeable difference.

Here are the targets I've included some of the 22 targets for references.

Most of the shots left with the 22 I could call, I never see the left with the 9.

All of the targets rotated CCW in the pictures left is good on the bottom.

The X target. POA was the intersection
    Name:  IMG_3114.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  20.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_3113.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  22.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_3115.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  25.7 KB

Line drill
    Name:  IMG_3112.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  25.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_3116.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  20.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_3117.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  21.8 KB
    Last edited by Bratch; 11-03-2017 at 06:58 PM.

I think your gun is just shooting left. Bump that rear sight to the right until you have a dead-on zero and call it good my friend.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Two more things I'd try and then I'd bump that sight over.....

1. Pulling my strong hand pinkie off the grip and seeing what happens then. I know that on my G26, I hit dead on and I suspect it's because I am not gripping excessively with that pinkie finger as it is wrapped up underneath the gun.

2. Pulling my strong hand THUMB away from the slide more (assuming you are using a "thumbs forward" grip) to keep that meaty part of the thumb from influencing the rear of the beavertail. I know that on my duty M&P when we transitioned to them, I had such a thumb (strong) influence on the beavertail that it ate into my thumb fiercely. I had to take a real fine file and blend that beavertail some to keep the pain manageable.

Your are more consistent in your "pushing left" than I ever was. Out of 10 rounds, I'd have 3 left and 7 dead on at those ranges......so I knew it was something I was doing and not the gun. All of yours seem to be hitting close to each other leading me to believe that, while it may be something you are doing and not the gun, you seem to do it 100 percent of the time. So the easiest solution would be to push the sight over.

But I suspect that you want to figure this out......I'm the same way.....strive to fix for good instead of giving in and pushing the sight over. Nothing wrong with that. I've been shooting for 40 plus years and have probably reached the apex of my abilities but I still strive to improve......tighter groups, faster, smoother.

Regards.

I hope it goes without saying that obtaining an adequate “zero” isn’t achieved in the abstract; it’s the result of your individual interface with the gun.

Your groups are more than adequate enough to suggest that the only reason you aren’t hitting POA/POI is because the sight orientation is off. I wouldn’t change anything in technique at this point in attempting to obtain a zero.

Now, if you’re ability to group shots was lacking (which it clearly isn’t) that might not be a reasonable suggestion, but in this case you need to move the rear sight to the right enough to get your pistol zeroed for you. It’s totally irrelevant what your sight settings may produce for another shooter, it’s simply got to work for you.

One of my instructor pals has a zero that doesn’t work for me. For him, the gun shoots dead-on but for me, all of his guns shoot right. His sights aren’t "wrong", they’re just wrong for me. That phenomenon is fairly common, believe me.

To further illustrate that point, the rear sight on every Glock I own is in a slightly different position (relative to center) but they all shoot to POA for me.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I played around some more today, by really crushing down in my grip my groups centered up. Moving my right thumb off the frame helped center some too. So it's looking like something in my grip.

Top two groups are two different M&PCs bottom group is a 320c so at least I know I can shoot.
    Name:  IMG_3191.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  18.6 KB
    Last edited by Bratch; 11-20-2017 at 06:49 PM.

Site Supporter
    Try different backstraps and see if this shifts your POI.

Id wager this is a finger placement issue. I pull shots left if my finger isn't correctly placed And my pull isn't straight back.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

User Tag List