Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left with CF, Center with RF

Left with CF, Center with RF

I've got a bit of confusion with what is going on and am looking for ideas.

I was shooting my M&P 2.0C yesterday and had a consistent left bias, drawing a line down the middle of the target would have almost every shot left of center. Elevation is spread normally, mainly center some high some low.

Today I shot my M&P22 and had no bias with equal distribution left and right.

Both guns have red fiber optic sights.

Any idea what could be going on? Ideas I've came up with: 22 trigger is slightly different and I shoot it better, 22 grip fits slightly better(been running the M on the 9c), the recoil from the 9mm is causing a flinch/push.

In a previous life I had issues shooting Glocks due left at distance, someone else worked the trigger and I still shot left, when they shot it it was right on.

Does the gun still shoot left when you shoot with your off-hand?
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

The .22 is a fixed barrel design. The 9mm may simply need the sights drifted.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Slide the rear sight to the right.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    Try what he suggested. At what ranges does this happen?

If shots go to center on your off hand, it's something you are doing in the trigger press. I am not that savvy on the M&P 2.0 but if it has back straps and you are on a small one, try a larger one. For me, it helped on my duty pistol when I was issued a first gen M&P.

Filling your hand with a larger back strap may seat your trigger finger on the trigger at a better spot to afford you a more straight back press.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Try what he suggested. At what ranges does this happen?

If shots go to center on your off hand, it's something you are doing in the trigger press. I am not that savvy on the M&P 2.0 but if it has back straps and you are on a small one, try a larger one. For me, it helped on my duty pistol when I was issued a first gen M&P.

Filling your hand with a larger back strap may seat your trigger finger on the trigger at a better spot to afford you a more straight back press.
    7-25 yards. I'll try playing with the different inserts and see how it reacts. I only had the M with me.

I have not tried the off hand. Will add that to me diagnostics next trip.

Does the gun still shoot left when someone else shoots it?

For me, that's always the first check I do when I'm wondering if it is a "sights" problem or a "me" problem--I have a couple of other people who are good bullseye-type shooters give it a try. If the problem persists, it is the gun. If it does, it is me.

"Me" type problems could be bad trigger control, incorrect sight picture/alignment, or just a simple mismatch between grip/trigger fit and my hand. (All of which take different fixes.) In my past shooting history, the problem has been the gun exactly once. It has been me all the rest of the time.

...but it is certainly true that the easiest way to check is to have someone else shoot it.

Got back to the range today.

Playing with the back straps seemed to help a little shooting dots at 5 yards.

Still shooting left at 15+. Here is a target from today at: 9 is left, 22 is right.
    Name:  IMG_3104.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  41.9 KB

Tried the left hand shooting, group on the left side of the target is shooting right handed, group on the right side is shooting left handed. Whatever I'm doing I'm doing with both hands.

Name:  IMG_3105.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  25.6 KB
    Any ideas this is my current troubleshooting project??
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Bratch; 10-30-2017 at 05:56 PM.

Diagnosing issues via the internet is - at best - an exercise in guessing sometimes, but that target really doesn't tell me anything meaningful. Try this using the same target you've posted above;

At 3 yards fire (3) rounds. Circle those three rounds with a colored marker.

At 5 yards repeat the drill with (3) rounds. Mark these three rounds with a different colored marker.

At 7 yards fire (3) more rounds. Mark these rounds with yet another color of marker.

That's 9 rounds total - each 3 round group marked in different colors.

Fire the most deliberate shots you can and indicate what you're using as a POA on the target, i.e. splitting the X .... 6 o'clock hold on the X .....
    Last edited by 41magfan; 10-30-2017 at 07:12 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I spent some time running through Ron Avery's Trigger Stripe drill when I first started shooting. After some reading here on finger placement on the trigger, I used the vertical line target and ran 5 shots using the tip, pad, and right near the joint. This helped figure when I was pulling or pushing the gun during the trigger press. Give it a shot, it may help.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

User Tag List