Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 12 Strong

Site Supporter

12 Strong

So badass it makes fiction movies look tame:

I remember reading a SITREP from this team back in the day. It went something like this:

We haven't slept or eaten in days, we're down to 10 round per man and outnumbered. We attack in the morning!

I read the book shortly after it came out and loved it. I’m looking forward to the movie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I hope the film does justice to the men involved. I always cringe a little when I hear "Based on a true story," but we've had some pretty solid films of that variety recently.

Not to mention SF only gets their own movie once every 50 years, so the director better not screw this up.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I've seen folks on FB opine that they don't expect much because none of the principals were involved in the movie (allegedly). I am still hopeful. The movie makers did have a pretty detailed book for work off of. Plus to tell a story about an ODA that did these amazing things, the movie maker will probably want to take some liberties in developing characters; dramatic license as they say.

I don't think that's a negative necessarily if the truth of the basic events and individuals is well communicated. That's not unlike story telling of legends of lore by word of mouth.

There are hundreds of other great movies that could be made about The Long War that I think would be commercial hits. I hope this one is so maybe the right movie people with be inspired to make more.

I read last year that Bellavia's book "House to House" had a contract on it and a script writer at work. I hope that one makes it too.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I hope the film does justice to the men involved. I always cringe a little when I hear "Based on a true story," but we've had some pretty solid films of that variety recently.

Not to mention SF only gets their own movie once every 50 years, so the director better not screw this up.
    Absolutely this. I have the utmost respect for our Long Tabbers. 99% if the ones I’ve ever worked with or met were consummate professionals. As a regular grunt those are the guys I and many others really looked up to, and admittedly still do. They are a bunch of bad asses and deserve to have the most accurate portrayal of their actions painted. I hope the film does them justice.

Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

FWIW, the credits list the same dude for military adviser who also did 13 hours, Act of Valor,the Last Ship, etc.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Too late. ANY movie about SF is a screw-up by definition.

We hate these movies. They bring the knuckleheads and poseurs out of the woodwork--just look at the asshattery the SEALs have to deal with in the wake of Zero Dark Thirty and American Sniper. SF was just moving past the last one and now this fucking thing pops up.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Too late. ANY movie about SF is a screw-up by definition.

We hate these movies. They bring the knuckleheads and poseurs out of the woodwork--just look at the asshattery the SEALs have to deal with in the wake of Zero Dark Thirty and American Sniper. SF was just moving past the last one and now this fucking thing pops up.

Okie John
    No doubt this is true, but I also think it’s good that somewhere there are some young boys getting geeked up about being THEM when they grow up instead of another marvel or DC pretend hero.

At least I hope so.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I read last year that Bellavia's book "House to House" had a contract on it and a script writer at work. I hope that one makes it too.
    I would very much like to see "House to House" made into a movie. I need to get another copy of that book - let someone borrow it.

User Tag List