Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Open carry of knives

Quote Originally Posted by Eastex View Post
    I was eating lunch with a friend the other day here in east Texas and we both noticed how many people were openly carrying knives on their belts. Most of the people would have fit into the rancher/working guy category. I’m pretty sure this is related to where I live and the fact that there aren’t a lot of suit and tie types where we were eating but I’m just curious about other areas of the country.
    Also wondering if the new knife laws here in Texas will affect what types of knives people carry. Most of the ones I saw looked like 4 inch blades and I don’t know that double edge or big Bowie styles will show up since most of these looked to be working knives. It wouldn’t surprise me if a big Bowie went unnoticed compared to a pen carried pistol though, those still stand out in the crowd.
    Interestingly, the law changed and theoretically we can carry swords. I'd carry my tulwar, but its a real pain to get into the car.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Wat. I've never seen this, is that really a thing?

ETA: The only time I've ever seen a preponderance of OC fixed blades has been biker bars in Reno.
    Yup. Hand tooled sheaths, Pukkos, etc. Plus lots of oiled beards.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Open carry of knives

I’d kind of like to slam them because, well, they’re hipsters, but if they’re putting money into some craftsman’s hands I guess that’s okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Eastex; 10-24-2017 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    In east side WA state (opposite side from Seattle, in more ways than just geography), I’d say that openly carried belt-born fixed blades are fairly uncommon, and "relegated" to people doing labor and maintenance jobs (and street people). But clipped folders in pockets? Get outta here... unless you’re artificially inflating white collar colors (suit and tie bank/finance, academia, etc) a clipped folder is de rigeur. Even the docs I know carry them regularly around here. Nobody conceals those thimgs, and security at places like the courthouse will hold them for you if you ask.

I’m more discrete, but that’s partially because I travel in artificial white collar circles. Partially.
    I'm in Seattle and I work in advertising and technology. Clipped folders are pretty common in offices, but you'd better be sure of your audience if you take it out of your pocket. Haven't seen anything like a Buck 110 in a sheath in town, but I don't think you'd have to get very far out of town for that to be a lot more common.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Eastex View Post
    I’d kind of like to slam them because, well, they’re hipsters, but if they’re putting money into some craftsman’s hands I guess that’s okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is the one thing I can commend real hipsters, and not just fashion goobers, on. They will spend money on quality stuff far more than the average American.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In Los Angeles County I'm not sure I've ever noticed anyone (other than a performing actor) openly carrying a fixed blade knife. In the past 5 years, I have started to notice people carrying folders to the point where it is no longer remarkable. Most of my co-workers think I'm paranoid for carrying a pocket knife - despite the fact they have only seen me use it on avocados and packaging. I'm also the person they visit when they need a screwdriver or flashlight.

Deputies in courthouses located in L.A., Riverside, San Diego, and San Bernardino won't hold your knife (or your medical shears) for you. They have be thrown away or returned to vehicle.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kukuforguns View Post

Deputies in courthouses located in L.A., Riverside, San Diego, and San Bernardino won't hold your knife (or your medical shears) for you. They have be thrown away or returned to vehicle.
    That's the same as in South Georgia.

Banned
    I remember when everyone carried a Buck 110 and no one really thought twice about it.

As long as I'm talking about this a Bianchi Accumold double stack magazine pouch makes a perfect replacement sheath for a Buck 110 ora Gerber Multitool

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I remember when everyone carried a Buck 110 and no one really thought twice about it.

As long as I'm talking about this a Bianchi Accumold double stack magazine pouch makes a perfect replacement sheath for a Buck 110 ora Gerber Multitool
    Whippersnapper...!!!

This is what the well accoutered elementary school student (and future (dare I say it?) juvenile delinquent) carried in his pocket back in the late 50's. early 60's...

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Whippersnapper...!!!

This is what the well accoutered elementary school student (and future (dare I say it?) juvenile delinquent) carried in his pocket back in the late 50's. early 60's...

And into the 70s. I grew up in a farming and ranching community in West Texas. No one ever thought twice about carrying a small folding knife in school in my hometown. Today, it’s not unusual to see fixed blade knives in the 3 to 4 inch range on belts, at least among the rancher/cowboy group out west. Not much longer than that and the knife doesn’t ride well in the pickup truck or the Polaris.

I’m still waiting to see a Bowie knife wearing, open carry person in Dallas. I must not be at Wal-Mart at the right time.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

User Tag List