Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Open carry of knives

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    And into the 70s. I grew up in a farming and ranching community in West Texas. No one ever thought twice about carrying a small folding knife in school in my hometown. Today, it’s not unusual to see fixed blade knives in the 3 to 4 inch range on belts, at least among the rancher/cowboy group out west. Not much longer than that and the knife doesn’t ride well in the pickup truck or the Polaris.

I’m still waiting to see a Bowie knife wearing, open carry person in Dallas. I must not be at Wal-Mart at the right time.
    From an old volume in my bookcase, "On Your Own In The Wilderness" by Colonel Townsend Whelen and Bradford Angier (1958):

"The most indispensable tool for a hunter or fisherman or camper, and in fact for any outdoor man and boy anywhere, is the knife-a businesslike knife, sharp and keen. Mrs. Whelen's aunt, who taught high school Latin for thirty years in Nebraska, had the right idea. She asked every class, "Which boys have a jackknife in their pocket?" The ones who had none did not rate very high with her.

Her philosophy was that if a boy did not have a knife and know how to use it, he was not likely to grow up able to do many things for himself...I have had a knife like this in my back pants pocket ever since I was knee-high to a chopping block."
    Too bad such common sense has become so uncommon.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Whippersnapper...!!!

This is what the well accoutered elementary school student (and future (dare I say it?) juvenile delinquent) carried in his pocket back in the late 50's. early 60's...

Holy smokes, I've got one of those. It was my great-grandfather's. And it cleaned a lot of fish when I was a boy.

They were pretty ubiquitous back in the day. I don't think I still have any of mine...probably lost in some box somewhere or just gone the way of all things over the years. As a kid I'd spend hours trying to put an edge on by sharpening on a concrete step, curb or a brick. Those were the days.

These days the cops are going to come and hall the kid off for having a knife.

I see fixed blade knives carried on the belt ocassionaly here in Central California. Believe it or not, I see it most often in Walmart. And typically their owners appear oblivious to possible retention issues. Some homeless folks also carry large knives, presumably as a deterent .

Under California law you can carry any fixed blade as long as it's not concealed. However many municipalities, including mine, have stricter laws.

User Tag List