Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: S&W Model 19 custom sights

Quote Originally Posted by JR1572 View Post
    I just had my gunsmith put the Bowen DX base on my 686 that I’m setting up for a “project.” I’ll post some pictures in the next few days/weeks as this gets closer to completion.

JR1572
    Sorry about the delay. I’ve been shooting the 686 with the Weigand base and I like it. I have a .220 and .250 front sight, but I need a .200 and cannot seem to find one anywhere. I’m shooting kinda low with the lead free frangible ammo we have to shoot at the work range. Anyone have an idea where to look?

Anyway, here are the pics:

JR1572

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    Are those rear sights reasonable easy to install at home? I have a model 19-3 that could use a new rear sight that I think would fit... anyone ever install one of these on their own before?

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Are those rear sights reasonable easy to install at home? I have a model 19-3 that could use a new rear sight that I think would fit... anyone ever install one of these on their own before?
    Nothing to it.

The one visible screw you can see anchors the sight on the top-strap. The elevation screw attaches to a stud on the underside of the rear portion of the sight that fits in a slot cut in the frame. The sight body is made with a slight bend to provide upward tension on the stud. The sight slides off to the rear and is reattached in the reverse, making sure the square sides of the stud line up with its recess.

The hardest part is having the correct size driver for the small attachment screw .... it's an easy one to bugger up.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    Nothing to it.

The one visible screw you can see anchors the sight on the top-strap. The elevation screw attaches to a stud on the underside of the rear portion of the sight that fits in a slot cut in the frame. The sight body is made with a slight bend to provide upward tension on the stud. The sight slides off to the rear and is reattached in the reverse, making sure the square sides of the stud line up with its recess.

The hardest part is having the correct size driver for the small attachment screw .... it's an easy one to bugger up.
    Thanks! This is great info.

Also, as long as I am in this thread... who do people like for S&W revolver gunsmithing? I have a model 28 that I'd like to put a new front sight (ideally, gold bead). Trigger work would be nice too. Any suggestions? Cylinder and Slide seems to be reasonable priced but I have no experience with their smithing services.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Thanks! This is great info.

Also, as long as I am in this thread... who do people like for S&W revolver gunsmithing? I have a model 28 that I'd like to put a new front sight (ideally, gold bead). Trigger work would be nice too. Any suggestions? Cylinder and Slide seems to be reasonable priced but I have no experience with their smithing services.
    Hamilton Bowen is the absolute top end for revolver work. He's also a gentleman of the old school and talking to him or corresponding with him is a rare treat.

Cylinder & Slide has a solid reputation, but I've never done business with them.

I've had good luck with Karl Sokol at http://chestnutmountainsports.net/

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Bowen no longer works on Smiths.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Bowen no longer works on Smiths.
    Like the president would say...

"Very sad!"

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

He said why, two years ago:
    Effective May 1st 2016, we will no longer accept S&W revolver projects and will take down the S&W catalog section. A great many of our S&W offerings involve barrel work, particularly sight and caliber conversion. More and more of the newer guns have barrels set so tightly that the factory service department refuses to remove them because of the risks of receiver damage. Unfortunately, it is impossible to know when guns are suitable candidates for barrel removal until you put a barrel wrench to one. Due to the untimely loss of friend and colleague Jim Dubell who did our reboring, we also have a considerable backlog of S&W caliber conversions to address as we are able to get barrels rebored; these are our top priority.

They still sell S&W sights if he can put it on himself or get it to another gunsmith.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List