Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W Model 19 custom sights

S&W Model 19 custom sights

So, let's say I have a 19-4 that I'd like to put nice sights on. It does not have the front ramp insert that allows one-for-one replacement with those kits from Brownells or whoever, so I'm completely open to having the sights ground off and new ones installed.

Which ones would you suggest, in what widths, and through which gunsmith shop? Is it possible to get the new FBI Ameriglo sights in a setup like this? I'd like something precise....preferably tritium, but I guess I'd be open to fiber optics as well because this will likely never be a carry gun. Bonus points if it can be done by Robar, as the gun will be going there anyway for a much needed refinish.

Go!
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Last edited by 41magfan; 10-23-2017 at 06:56 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I have a Model 67 that the gunsmith just milled the red insert blade off the ramp and dovetailed for a Dawson F.O. like he put on autos.
    No reason not to do that with a night sight or whatever else you preferred.

Maybe you could call Robar and ask if they did such work. Save a lot of shipping time and expense.

I also have a revolver with a screw on ramp like 41magfan shows, but that was along with a barrel shortening that did away with the factory ramp.
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 10-23-2017 at 06:55 PM.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I have a Model 67 that the gunsmith just milled the red insert blade off the ramp and dovetailed for a Dawson F.O. like he put on autos.
    No reason not to do that with a night sight or whatever else you preferred.

Maybe you could call Robar and ask if they did such work. Save a lot of shipping time and expense.

I also have a revolver with a screw on ramp like 41magfan shows, but that was along with a barrel shortening that did away with the factory ramp.
    Indeed they do. One of the problems is that it's a nickel plated gun with a lot of pitting and corrosion. On top of that, the front sight is nickel plated......and would come out with the NP3 finish. The rear sight is a Millett in similarly bad condition. To get a really good quality sight setup, I think it might just be more effective and easier to lop the damn thing off and have them install the Bowen sights, both front and rear, rather than paying them $135 for the tritium vial job and another however much to apply a black Roguard or PolyT2 finish to the front sight post and rear sight assembly so they're usable.

The bonus being that the front sight would be easier to swap out in the future after mounting the Bowen.....or something like the Bowen, if there are other choices.

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by TGS; 10-23-2017 at 08:44 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I haven't kept up with it but at one time, there were several good sources (SDM, Weigand, etc) for "DX Style" front sight options. Unless something better has come along, I think that system offers more "options" than any other revolver sight system out there.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Site Supporter
    As much as I like tritium sights, if you do go that route, be sure that the sight is easily replaceable when the tritium gets dim. If, for example, the sight is dovetailed in place, securing a round barrel in any sight pusher I have seen would be difficult. Unless something is available with a drop-in replacement, I would strongly consider fiber optic, gold bead, or something similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Note that revolvers of that vintage have pinned front sights, they look like they're one-piece because they were installed prior to polishing. I had the plain ramp on my 4" 19-3 replaced with a Patridge one. I don't know what options S&W still offers.

I just had my gunsmith put the Bowen DX base on my 686 that I’m setting up for a “project.” I’ll post some pictures in the next few days/weeks as this gets closer to completion.

JR1572

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    As much as I like tritium sights, if you do go that route, be sure that the sight is easily replaceable when the tritium gets dim. If, for example, the sight is dovetailed in place, securing a round barrel in any sight pusher I have seen would be difficult. Unless something is available with a drop-in replacement, I would strongly consider fiber optic, gold bead, or something similar.
    Not to mention that if you need to send the gun out for that, you've got more costs than you do from sending a slide to Trijicon for relamping.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

The DX system is a fast and economical way to try different front sight variants, but I'm not a fan of it for serious use.

From Mr. Bowen's website:
    DX front sight blades are hand-detachable. To remove the blade, pull it firmly to the rear, compressing the retaining spring and plunger and then tip up the front of the blade to release it from the base. It’s that simple.
    You can also catch the blade on the lip of your holster while reholstering and drop the blade without realizing it. It's a shock when your next sight picture does NOT include a front sight. Don't ask me how I know that.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List