Thread: Dehumidifiers

Dehumidifiers

I was just wondering if someone can put my mind at ease. I'm looking at some dehumidifier options. The best I can see appears to be the rod type, that plugs into the powerpoint and sits in the safe, raising the inside temperature of the safe slightly compared to the outside to keep moisture at bay.

The next best option for someone like me where this is impractical is the recharge types.

The concern I have is the different way they operate. The rods appear to operate by repelling moisture / keeping it out of the safe.

On the other hand, the other dehumidifiers appear to operate by attracting moisture (and then storing the moisture in a container inside the safe).

I've had one person tell me that these later ones can cause more damage than they do good because they can lead to increased humidity in some situations - especially if the container get's full and keeps attracting moisture.

Can someone advise if this is a load of bollocks and put my mind at ease - or is there any potential plausibility to it?

What are the conditions your safe lives in?

Can you add weatherproofing measures to it easily?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where is the safe located?

Safes are like humidors and deep freezers. The trick maintaining the humidity and temperature is to keep the door closed. Know what you want to get out before you open the door, get it and close the door.

If your storing firearms with wood stocks or grips too little humidity can be a lot worse than too much. A little bit of surface rust is a lot easier to deal with than wood that has been over dried and permanently altered. The rust will also be a lot more obvious. The NRA recommends 50 percent humidity at 70 degrees for storage. The only way to know what's going on in your safe is to buy a hygrometer. There are a few wireless jobs on Amazon that will let you track the humidity and temperature without opening the door.

Your storing firearms not snow flakes so don't get too worked up by internet snowflakes. Your gun collection will not turn to dust if the conditions are not perfect. Try to keep the temperature above the dew point ans as stable as possible, and the humidity between 40-60%.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

I was asking that because in some locales, if it isn't in an otherwise climate managed environment like an office, you could be getting much higher moisture spikes per door opening than other locales. That's all.

txdpd's response is awesome. The hygrometer is really good call if you have valuable wood to protect.

In your typical situation, the rechargeable dehumidifies are just fine. Set a calendar alert to change em out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the Liberty Safelert in both of my safes... gives you a lot of info, especially temperature and humidity alerts when it gets out of normal range. I do have a thermometer/hygrometer in both for Easy access to that info, but knowing what you are dealing with is very important.

Leaving in NJ, I have a Golden Rod in both of the safes. Some parts of the year, that is all I need. Other parts, I have desiccants that I put in and recharge (in the oven for a few hours). When not needed, I recharge them and then place in a ziplock bag... outside of the safe.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    Where is the safe located?

Safes are like humidors and deep freezers. The trick maintaining the humidity and temperature is to keep the door closed. Know what you want to get out before you open the door, get it and close the door.

If your storing firearms with wood stocks or grips too little humidity can be a lot worse than too much. A little bit of surface rust is a lot easier to deal with than wood that has been over dried and permanently altered. The rust will also be a lot more obvious. The NRA recommends 50 percent humidity at 70 degrees for storage. The only way to know what's going on in your safe is to buy a hygrometer. There are a few wireless jobs on Amazon that will let you track the humidity and temperature without opening the door.

Your storing firearms not snow flakes so don't get too worked up by internet snowflakes. Your gun collection will not turn to dust if the conditions are not perfect. Try to keep the temperature above the dew point ans as stable as possible, and the humidity between 40-60%.
    Great info man thanks!

Wow - great information! Thanks...

To answer the questions: My safe is stored in a temperate environment. We don't often get real humid days here, but temperatures can range from 21 - 117 degrees between winter and summer.

The safes I'm discussing will be stored inside the house - which will help to limit those temperatuers, but since we have an evaporation air conditioner - may add to the humidity in the house during summer times.

I actually have 2 safes. One does contain fireams with wood, the other doesn't.

It's sounding as though the recharge ones will be fine for my needs - and that they're not going to add to risk by attracting moisture. (Provided they don't get full and then spill :-) )

That Liberty Safelert system sounds pretty neat! Thanks for the tip.

User Tag List