Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Target focus, a paradigm shift

Target focus, a paradigm shift

Aging and changing eyesight has forced me to reevaluate using a target focus, and I’ve spent the last several range trips experimenting. I come from an accuracy-oriented background and a firm belief in the traditional use of iron sights, along with the need to see what you need to see to make the shot. Target focus up close, sure. Target focus at distance, never really experimented with it when I could see.

I will be 62 next month and without range glasses (which I won’t be wearing anywhere other than the range) sight alignment has recently become align the blurry thing with the rear blurry thingy. Without a +2.25 – 2.50 ready correction, I can’t see any detail up close.

As you can imagine, this means I can’t determine precise sight alignment and, even worse, can’t read enough feedback from the sights to call shots with the precision I could previously. My trigger control and index is fine, I just can’t see my front sight as anything other than a blurry blob without any real definition. My distant vision beyond arms length is also fine.

As a result, I’ve been experimenting with a target focus out to 25 yards. What is surprising to me is I’m pretty much staying in the A zone all the way out to 25. I have a lot of time with Aimpoints, so looking at the target isn’t a new thing, just less so with handguns.

I’ve come to the realization that as long as I can see a blurry font sight through a blurry notch, I don’t have to stress over precision any more. I’m actually shooting better using a target focus than trying to focus on sights I can’t see well. Perhaps the new Wilson 92 BT is helping this because I’m shooting it much better than anything else.

What this truly reinforces is how much more important trigger control is over sight alignment.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    You can probably make a zone hits at 25y with no sights at all, just a touch slower than with a sight picture. When everything is stationary. Try it on the move or with a moving target and see what the targets say.

That's great...if your target is within 25 yards...but wouldn't a red dot be the real solution?

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    You can probably make a zone hits at 25y with no sights at all, just a touch slower than with a sight picture. When everything is stationary. Try it on the move or with a moving target and see what the targets say.
    I wish I still had access to a range with moving targets. http://www.jestc.org

Obviously it will be harder, but I have a lot of time on movers and moving so I'm pretty sure I'm still dangerous at typical engagement ranges. Trust me, I'm not recommending target focus for people who can see. I'm saying it's worth trying when your vision goes South. It sucks getting old and loosing capability, but it does beat the alternative...

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    That's great...if your target is within 25 yards...but wouldn't a red dot be the real solution?

Yes, once they get to the point where I trust the technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    What he said.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Good stuff, Ken. I find the issue of aging eyes an interesting challenge. (I'm three years your senior.) I have a bit of astigmatism which is evident via a small amount of flare with my Aimpoint. I don't wear glasses except to read indoors or do computer work...1.25s.

I have learned not to obsess on the sights per se as opposed to doing just as you say...get the best alignment available under the circumstances and concentrate primarily on grip / trigger control. It's pretty much what I've been doing on my LEOSA quals since I don't wear corrective lenses and the lighting and my lack of near focus doesn't allow for a perfect sight picture. It works.

Thanks for starting what should prove to be an interesting discussion.
    Last edited by blues; 10-22-2017 at 06:02 PM.

This article has probably been cited, debated, and discussed several times here. When I first read it my thought was "Heresy" but having competed and trained with Frank, and knowing his skill level, I had to give it some consideration.

http://soldiersystems.net/2015/02/14...nk-proctor-13/

Now approaching my "60th winter" I have adopted this idea from his first paragraph "just let your eyes do what they are capable of and see all 3."

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    This article has probably been cited, debated, and discussed several times here. When I first read it my thought was "Heresy" but having competed and trained with Frank, and knowing his skill level, I had to give it some consideration.

http://soldiersystems.net/2015/02/14...nk-proctor-13/

Now approaching my "60th winter" I have adopted this idea from his first paragraph "just let your eyes do what they are capable of and see all 3."
    Thanks for revisiting this article. He says it better than I did.

I'm in the same boat vision wise. It occurred to me a while back that in a situation, I might lose my glasses or not have them on if awakened at night so I'd better figure out something. So far I can do okay with HD sights due to the large front dot but I have considered the RDS and even a laser was suggested to me on this forum.

User Tag List