Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's good range AMMO & Home defense ? 5.56 x 45mm NATO

I switched from 55 GMX to 62 gr t
    TBBC due to improved barrier performance. I was also able to get it at almost 50% off in price. I still have some Independence 55 gr fmj for practice but I'm slowly switching to IMI M193 amd Federal XM193.

55 gr gmx

Last edited by witchking777; 10-29-2017 at 01:27 PM.

62 gr 5.56 TBBC

Site Supporter
    New to 5.56 ammo buying….

I have the DocGKR post for self defense ammo, but I’m really uncertain on practice ammo. I have a quality 16” AR.

Im assuming steel case is generally not a good idea since I don’t have a “beater”/ practice rifle yet, but I’d welcome comments on that as well as steel core ammo. American Eagle XM193 has my attention; are there a few other common choices that might be cheaper or more available that I s.hound put on my list. Any pairing of practice ammo that have similar ballistics with a quality defensive choice, that I should be considering?

I’m very much in the “don’t know what I don’t know” situation here, and don’t want to plunk down 700$ on something stupid…

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Range use: M193 of some sort. I like IMI.
    Defense: Speer Gold Dot 55 or 64/62 grain.
    This is what I prefer, also...

Range use:
    Federal American Eagle XM193 55 grain FMJ

Defensive use:
    Speer Gold Dot 64 grain GDSP (see image below)

Name:  223 Gold Dot 64 gr (24448).jpg
Views: 328
Size:  26.6 KB
    Last edited by Glock17JHP; 03-26-2022 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    New to 5.56 ammo buying….

I have the DocGKR post for self defense ammo, but I’m really uncertain on practice ammo. I have a quality 16” AR.

Im assuming steel case is generally not a good idea since I don’t have a “beater”/ practice rifle yet, but I’d welcome comments on that as well as steel core ammo. American Eagle XM193 has my attention; are there a few other common choices that might be cheaper or more available that I s.hound put on my list. Any pairing of practice ammo that have similar ballistics with a quality defensive choice, that I should be considering?

I’m very much in the “don’t know what I don’t know” situation here, and don’t want to plunk down 700$ on something stupid…
    Re: steel case and steel core bullets - Steel is not as malleable as brass and doesn't seal in the chamber as well when firing. After extended use of steel case you have a very dirty chamber and could have problems with failure to extracts. Some folks also attribute fail to extracts with steel case ammo due to the lacquer finish on the cases causing build up which also fouls the chamber.

Steel core bullets are not allowed on any indoor range that I know of, and on any of the outdoor ranges that I frequent due to the damage it does to range backstops and metal targets.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List