Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's good range AMMO & Home defense ? 5.56 x 45mm NATO

What's good range AMMO & Home defense ? 5.56 x 45mm NATO

BCM® MID-16 Mod 0 Carbine

Ammo for Range use and Home Defense ?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mitchum View Post

For a while, Speer Gold Dot in various weights was selling for under $10 a box at Palmetto. I'd say that's about the cheapest for anything I'd consider for home defense, and it's what I'm using (55gr variety). I would not use an FMJ rifle round for home defense in my personal circumstances, ie. suburban area, with neighbors in close proximity.

Do you mean one type of ammunition that’s good for both or are you looking for a recommendation for each category? I don’t think I’d be able to afford to shoot defensive stuff at the range but I love Wolf Gold 55gr as non-defensive range ammo. It’s been reliable and decently accurate. Brass cased and not too expensive at about 28-30 cents a round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mitchum View Post

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....unition-To-Buy

Ammo for Range use ?

Home Defense ?

2 Separate Ammo Types

Range use: M193 of some sort. I like IMI.
    Defense: Speer Gold Dot 55 or 64/62 grain.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

I use Black Hills Mk262 Mod 1, 77 grain SMKBTHP OTM. Eventually I’ll need to find a training round. For now, I have a handful suitable for both.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Site Supporter
    Home defense ammo - Gold Dots in various and the Federal Fusion MSR are both reasonably priced, bonded rounds with good performance.

The all copper rounds like the Barnes TSX are also promising but I have limited experience with them.

Range - anything brass cased and not remanufactured. I would look at Federal products while the rebate is going. Afterwards, Wolf Gold is a great M193 round - it's made in Taiwan by their military ammo plant.

"Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

If shooting cars isn't a realistic expectation of your home's defense, you don't need bonded and regular old 55gr fmj isn't anything to scoff at. There are better choices than fmj and much worse.

If I were starting from scratch I'd rather pickup a 1000 rounds of XM193, test 800 of those for reliability and store the remainder, than buying small batches of police duty ammo.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

User Tag List