Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How clean is your carry pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    My "field gun" (usually open carried) gets stripped and cleaned every few days. The silt and sand out here is ridiculously invasive
    Recently saw The Beast movie. My face involuntarily contorted when the crew dropped out of the bottom of the tank with their AKs. Moon dust pls.

I'd think Motor officers must have an accelerated cleaning schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    Recently saw The Beast movie. My face involuntarily contorted when the crew dropped out of the bottom of the tank with their AKs. Moon dust pls.

I'd think Motor officers must have an accelerated cleaning schedule.
    I saw that movie when it first came out. Has no idea what it was about before I saw it, but being a former tanker thought it did pretty well as a tank movie. RPG kaboom tank!

Anyway, Keep mine pretty clean, full clean and lube every 100-200 rounds or so. If I'm lazy, just pull a bore snake through a couple of times after shooting. One thing that makes me feel it's a good idea to regularly clean it was a story that LSP552 mentioned when he was a rookie. There was a shooting he was not involved in, and a supervisor tried to say he was a shooter. When the investigator's examined his spotless weapon, it was clear early on that he had not fired his weapon.

Another reason is that I discovered a couple of weird rust issues with SIG's (my primary carry). On my 229, after a particularly hot summer, the mag release froze in the open position when I ejected the mag. It's a 2000 manufactured SIG, and there was no way to get it back without squirting Break Free into the mag release, then later disassembling the mag release. Turns out the little detente that holds it in had accumulated rust and froze in place when pressed to eject it. Easy to fix, but something to keep an eye on.

My 239 accumulated rust behind the de-cocker this year (another hot summer), and the de-cocker became unusable until I disassembled it and cleaned it off.

Now it's SOP to clean pretty regularly and do a function check especially on the mag release and decocker.
    Last edited by Tabasco; 10-22-2017 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Anyway, Keep mine pretty clean, full clean and lube every 100-200 rounds or so. If I'm lazy, just pull a bore snake through a couple of times after shooting. One thing that makes me feel it's a good idea to regularly clean it was a story that LSP552 mentioned when he was a rookie. There was a shooting he was not involved in, and a supervisor tried to say he was a shooter. When the investigator's examined his spotless weapon, it was clear early on that he had not fired his weapon.
    That is one of the reasons I run a Bore-Snake down the barrel at a minimum after every range session.
    Last edited by JodyH; 10-23-2017 at 06:32 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I got tired of getting oil/grime stains on my work shirts (my time to go to the range is normally right after work, for brief periods, so my EDC is my primary training pistol), so I've gotten in the habit of at least wiping everything down during & post range session. I've also gotten in the bad habit of running my pistol fairly dry to stop ruining clothes.

Here's to hoping that my well maintained, polished internally pistol can run through a minimum of 2 mags of +P powered 147 HST without seizing shut...(that's meant to be a joke).

My carry gun is always clean, because I rarely shoot it. My training gun (identical in set up to my carry gun) is typically pretty nasty, because I clean it about every thousand rounds.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    I like to inspect my guns after I shoot for any broken, worn or cracked parts...etc.. That's hard to do with dirty weapons.
    This reminded me that I found a chipped barrel lug (large- 1/3 of the lug) on my duty weapon while cleaning after shooting for qual 2 cycles ago. If I hadn’t field-stripped it to clean, I wouldn’t have found it.
    And to pile-on to what 41magfan said, bringing a clean and undamaged gun to the fight is one of the few variables that I have complete control over. I won’t give that up for 30 min (or less) of work after each training session.
    Besides, much like washing my car, it gives me a little “quality time” with something that’s important to me.
    And after 24 years in uniform, carrying a dirty gun would feel like walking around with a barbecue stain on my shirt... just... wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    ...carrying a dirty gun would feel like walking around with a barbecue stain on my shirt... just... wrong.
    LoL... That sums it up nicely.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

I'm definitely far less fastidious about pistol cleaning than I used to be some thirty years ago, but even today my primary CCW pistol (which is either a G26 or a Colt CCO) is nonetheless pretty clean, and always well-lubricated, because it's carried daily yet actually shot much less often than its "practice duplicate".

The carry gun gets inspected, lubricated and cleaned regulary, and is also shot often enough to ensure both reliabilty and precision, yet the bulk of regular shooting practice is done with a dedicated duplicate pistol (the cleaning of which is admittedly less thorough).

This approach makes sense to me, and there's also the advantage that, should the primary CCW be broken or lost, there's a backup.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

I actually don’t like carrying a clean gun. Pencil tests are nice, but if I’ve shot it, I know I put it back together right.
    Ignore Alien Orders

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Once I am happy enough with a gun to carry it, I field strip and clean it, and then shoot a few hundred rounds of clean burning ammo through it, and don't touch it really after that.

User Tag List