Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How clean is your carry pistol?

I once went in excess of 3,000 rounds on my issued 3rd Gen G19 without cleaning or lube - just to see what it would take to choke it up. My team sergeant finally broke down and cleaned it while I was out of the office before we went on an extended deployment - he's probably a lot smarter than I am!

On my personal duty guns (9mm Glocks, Gen4, all of them), I guess they get detail stripped and thoroughly cleaned once a quarter. Now, with my limited range availability, that probably equates to every 1,000 rounds or less. RSAs get changed every year - otherwise I just keep on keeping on with them.

If I was shooting a high end 1911 with very tight tolerances, I'd probably clean after every range session out of an excess of caution.

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    Carry pistol isn't used in primary training so it stays pretty clean.

Cleaned on long interval or after exposure to abnormal conditions. Ammo also cycled with abnormal conditions.

It's at least as dirty as 3 mags after cleaning.

A service pistol is often a balance of daily exposure needs and getting dinged if its not clean just short of a white glove inspection.
    My carry gun is my primary training gun. I think that I’m nearing three years of not cleaning it. When I do decide to clean it, I’ll spend about two minutes hosing it out with non chlorinated brake cleaner (outside, you need ventilation), changing out the springs as needed, and then relubing it. I shoot this gun hard and fairly often.
    #RESIST

On my carry gun I clean and lube every 1000 rounds or so.
    By clean I mean field strip, hit the crusties with a toothbrush, wipe it with a rag and then lightly lube as required.
    It gets a Bore-Snake run through the barrel after every range session.

My "field gun" (usually open carried) gets stripped and cleaned every few days. The silt and sand out here is ridiculously invasive, especially the "salt flats" between the Guadalupe Mountains and El Paso south to Presidio. When the wind blows we have our own little desert "Bermuda triangle" of suckage.

My training/competition gun... it gets lubed when the trigger starts feeling like it's full of gravel, it's never been "cleaned".
    Last edited by JodyH; 10-22-2017 at 08:33 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    What if I told you, I pick a pistol based on my mood?

Actually I have the G34 with X300U as a house gun. The G26 with comp and a G19 get swapped back and forth sometimes - not daily, but maybe every two weeks or so depending on where I'm going or how I have to dress. Winter time it might be a G17 most often. I want to standardize on the 26 as my go-to, but I'll have to replace a front sight and get some more rounds through it before that can happen.

I suck equally with each.
    This may literally be the least offensive carry rotation I have ever seen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    This may literally be the least offensive carry rotation I have ever seen.
    After I wrote that, it occurred to me that really what I do is carry the biggest Glock 9mm that I can get away with. Attire largely consists of shorts and t-shirts. Truth is, I could probably roll with the 17 most of the time - but the 26/19 make me *feel* more stealthy. And feelings, I am told, are important...
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 10-23-2017 at 09:30 AM.

My carry guns (and magazines) get thoroughly cleaned after every firing, regardless of how many rounds were fired. Why? Because it's the ONLY variable that is within my complete control and I refuse to squander it.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 10-22-2017 at 09:11 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    all at once?
    Unnnmmmm......

Yea.

Full sized combat pistol, BUG, and a pocket pistol.

In my limited experience, when shit goes sideways, it generally goes that direction in the worst way.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Sean M rocks the right way!

My two carry handguns don't get shot much, but are kept lubed and get wiped down occasionally. My two identical practice handguns get lubed a couple of times per year and are cleaned every few years...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

How clean is your carry pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Spring maintenance and making sure it’s not dry, are more important.
    Sometimes I clean them in the fall, too.

I generally run a different identical pistol for training. I clean my carry gun every 1000 rounds or so, which amounts to about never.
    Last edited by JAD; 10-22-2017 at 10:40 PM.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I like to inspect my guns after I shoot for any broken, worn or cracked parts...etc.. That's hard to do with dirty weapons.

User Tag List