Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How clean is your carry pistol?

I clean pretty much after every range trip. Mainly as an excuse to take my guns apart and put them back together again.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Mine is clean. I have a G19 practice gun and and G19 carry gun. The carry gun finished the 2,000 round challenge and has enough Gold Dots through it for me to to trust it. I also have a G26 which I carry from time to time, and it's clean enough for me not to worry about cleaning it right now. I'll probably clean it after the next time I shoot it though. I clean the practice gun about every 500 rounds, which I'm sure is more often than it really needs.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I used to keep my 1911's super clean. Wasn't afraid to shoot and carry them, but I did clean them after every range trip. Now that I'm all Glocks, I still do it. Old habits and whatnot. I'm not cleaning them on lunch during a class or anything, and it might be a few days after I get home, but I'll clean them. I know I don't need to, it just makes me feel better.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    Mine stay relatively spotless, not because I'm skared of the skreets, but rather firearm OCD instilled by Military Dad when i was a kid (and finishes were less tolerant). Ritualistically wipe down (or fully clean)/inspect/lube usually weekly though if it hasn't been fired, I'm no longer overtly religious about that. If it has been fired it gets cleaned at first available opportunity, usually that day - no expceptions, no excuses. Can't tolerate a dirty weapon. Just ain't gonna happen.
    I’m pretty much in line with Critter... Firearm OCD from a military background. Gun gets shot, gun gets cleaned, usually the same day. I’m sure it doesn’t NEED it, but I feel better knowing that I’ve done everything within my control to keep my weapon as likely to work as possible. Besides, after a practice session, cleaning is a quick job- 30 min if I take my time.

I'm a creature of habit and keep my carry firearms cleaned and lubed as I was trained to do while still carrying for a living.

It's not much extra work on my part and helps ensure that everything is in proper working order. (To the extent that we can be certain of such things.)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    How many carry pistols do you have?
    Three.

Stop judging me.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Three.

Stop judging me.
    all at once?
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    all at once?
    Por Que No?

I've never seen a properly maintained pistol fail because it had the buildup removed. But I have seen Colorado River silt jam the great and mighty Glock in one range trip.

Not cleaning can lead to jams. Proper cleaning doesn't lead to jams.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

My carry guns and my duty guns are probably not as clean as the "should" be but they are cleaner than they need to be, lubed, and will function if I need them.

User Tag List