Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How clean is your carry pistol?

How clean is your carry pistol?

I used to be super fastidious about having my carry pistol (a Glock of some sort) cleaned and lubed. Of late, since I find myself shooting all of my would be carry pistols more frequently (although generally not with a ton of rounds at each session), the logistics of keeping them all clean all the time has kept me from doing that. Add to that, the demonstrated reliability of Glocks in general, and mine in particular, and I find myself "okay" with carrying them in a less-than-pristine state. I do make sure they are lubed sufficiently and in the right places.

Is this gonna get me killed in the skreets? Do I need to tighten myself up?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    I used to be super fastidious about having my carry pistol (a Glock of some sort) cleaned and lubed. Of late, since I find myself shooting all of my would be carry pistols more frequently (although generally not with a ton of rounds at each session), the logistics of keeping them all clean all the time has kept me from doing that. Add to that, the demonstrated reliability of Glocks in general, and mine in particular, and I find myself "okay" with carrying them in a less-than-pristine state. I do make sure they are lubed sufficiently and in the right places.

My duty / carry gun is always lubed, but rarely clean. I try and shoot as often as possible but clean it once a month. I clean my BUG gun more frequently be sue it's a revolver.

Spring maintenance and making sure it’s not dry, are more important.
    #RESIST

Seems like as long as you know it's going to reliably function when needed, it's unlikely to result in a "killed in the streets" scenario.

One question that comes up for me is this: Why do you carry so many different pistols that it's difficult to keep them all clean? I don't think you have to keep the gun(s) you carry spotlessly pristine, but I thought it was pretty well accepted around here that a "carry rotation" is a bad idea...?

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post

How many carry pistols do you have?
    #RESIST

Carry pistol isn't used in primary training so it stays pretty clean.

Cleaned on long interval or after exposure to abnormal conditions. Ammo also cycled with abnormal conditions.

It's at least as dirty as 3 mags after cleaning.

A service pistol is often a balance of daily exposure needs and getting dinged if its not clean just short of a white glove inspection.

Clean and lubed. Wiped down and re-lubed minimum 1/month to avoid too much lint build up.

I have a dedicated, fully vetted carry gun so I don't have to worry any more than that.

But I do tend to agree with LL. As long as it isn't crusty caked and it's well lubed, I wouldn't lose sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine stay relatively spotless, not because I'm skared of the skreets, but rather firearm OCD instilled by Military Dad when i was a kid (and finishes were less tolerant). Ritualistically wipe down (or fully clean)/inspect/lube usually weekly though if it hasn't been fired, I'm no longer overtly religious about that. If it has been fired it gets cleaned at first available opportunity, usually that day - no expceptions, no excuses. Can't tolerate a dirty weapon. Just ain't gonna happen.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    How many carry pistols do you have?
    What if I told you, I pick a pistol based on my mood?

Actually I have the G34 with X300U as a house gun. The G26 with comp and a G19 get swapped back and forth sometimes - not daily, but maybe every two weeks or so depending on where I'm going or how I have to dress. Winter time it might be a G17 most often. I want to standardize on the 26 as my go-to, but I'll have to replace a front sight and get some more rounds through it before that can happen.

I suck equally with each.
    Last edited by Tensaw; 10-22-2017 at 03:34 PM.

Mine was cleaned 1352 rounds ago.
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List