Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you were going to buy a "match grade" AR barrel....

If you were going to buy a "match grade" AR barrel....

What would you get?

I'm contemplating buying a new barrel. My current 16" chrome lined barrel is pretty good, but I feel like I can outrun it at times.

I'm looking for a solution that doesn't add a ton of weight or cost more than $500. I havent decided on barrel length. I may go 18, 20, or 16.

I consistently shoot out to 600 yards and will be using 77gr SMKs and TMKs primarily, with some 75 gr Gold Dots for hunting duty.

So, recommendations?
    Last edited by littlejerry; 10-21-2017 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Tapping on a phone

Site Supporter
    I've had great results with Noveske and Ranier "Mountain" Barrels.

Centurion Arms is generally considered a solid source, both their CHF (which is what I use in my DI guns) and their stainless steel (Monty is one of two sources for Crane specced MK12 barrels, IIRC): https://www.centurionarms.com/category-s/1514.htm

The BRT Optimum barrels are intriguing, and Clint seems very knowledgeable over on M4C: http://www.blackrivertactical.com/co...ptimum-barrel/

Just looking for the barrel? BCM just released their stainless uppers spec'd by Kyle Defoor to be optimized for MK 262.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

White Oak Armament.

They have a background shooting at the national matches and make some great barrels, at good prices. I have used 20+ of their barrels for builds for other people, as well as myself, and have yet to have one that will not shoot .5 moa with proper handloads. A good number of the guys I built them for were running standard MK262 77 grain smk, and the barrels shot the 262 very well.

This was a test target from an SPR using MK262 :

I am quite sure if you handloaded you could really tighten this up, but considering that is roughly .5 moa from military match stuff, it is likely sufficient for most applications.

I think I still have 3 of their barrels sitting under my bench right now from a big order I did a while ago. WOA is good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    White Oak Armament.

They have a background shooting at the national matches and make some great barrels, at good prices. I have used 20+ of their barrels for builds for other people, as well as myself, and have yet to have one that will not shoot .5 moa with proper handloads. A good number of the guys I built them for were running standard MK262 77 grain smk, and the barrels shot the 262 very well.

This was a test target from an SPR using MK262 :

I am quite sure if you handloaded you could really tighten this up, but considering that is roughly .5 moa from military match stuff, it is likely sufficient for most applications.

I think I still have 3 of their barrels sitting under my bench right now from a big order I did a while ago. WOA is good stuff.
    X2. WOA or Krieger.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Just looking for the barrel? BCM just released their stainless uppers spec'd by Kyle Defoor to be optimized for MK 262.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    These are on my shprt list...really want one and a nice 1-8 or 2.5-10x to throw on top.
    Shoot more, post less...

I have been looking at WOA pretty hard because they are so common in high power. I like proven solutions and assume anything labeled Tactical! to be shade-tree or snake oil. I also like transparency: i.e. we use X blanks and cut our own chamber

Rainier ultramatch gets a lot of positive reviews, but they now only offer the "mod2" version.

How about fluting? The heavy fluted SDM barrels are appealing since they are barely over 2lbs and have a monster profile. Somehow the Rainier Mod2 barrels are under 2 lbs and use a .800" gas block. Conceptually the fluting is another opportunity for machining inconsistencies, but im not sure if that's an actual problem in practice.

Be sure to get your bolt matched to that specific barrel.

Example: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/15...tainless-steel

Or

https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.1_barrel.php
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 10-22-2017 at 02:28 PM.
    #RESIST

Were it my money and I was building it; I’d follow this guide.

Otherwise, just buy a proven performer, such as the KAC LPR with the Krieger barrel

Or the JP
    https://www.jprifles.com/1.2.2_JP15.php
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 10-22-2017 at 02:29 PM.
    #RESIST

User Tag List