Thread: First 3-gun match - debrief, lessons learned, observations

First 3-gun match - debrief, lessons learned, observations

Shot my first 3-gun match today. Had a great time but man I'm beat.

Today was 5 stages. I did the best on the last stage--two small poppers and 10 bowling pins at around 100 yards for the rifle, then a spinner with the shotgun, and run some more to a set of steel plates for pistol. I got hits with fewer shots on the rifle stage than anyone else I saw shoot that stage, and got the spinner going with three shots. I don't know how my absolute time played out but I think it was my best performance of the day (relative to everyone else on the stage).

Worst stage, I missed two rifle shots and a pistol shot (all on paper) and both of the flying clays.

I also received an injury--I was resetting one of the steel falling targets, and it fell again and hit the inside of my elbow. Got a nice little bruise and some blood for that one. Another guy patched me up with a pad and some gauze and tape.

More observations:
    I need a LOT more work on rapid pistol shots. Didn't do terrible there but not what I should be managing with the pistol practice I've been trying to do. In fact, I need to work on rapid shots period.
    My shotgun needs to get broken in and I need a better loading method than "grab one shell at a time from a cargo pocket". It needs a magazine tube extension, too.
    The people that come to these are great, helpful, friendly folks that will loan you anything you need to get through the day. I hope to be able to pay it forward in the future.

Lessons learned:
    Make sure your red dot is turned up to appropriate brightness before starting your first round. I had it dimmed for night/low light, couldn't see it, and wound up transitioning to cowitnessed irons (small aperture, check that too!) on the first stage.
    Bring sunscreen!
    Get a cart for all the stuff--one guy was generous enough to share space in his cart (notes on the cart: a beach umbrella and folding chair are wonderful ideas).
    Bring more water--half a gallon wasn't enough.
    Pack some snacks next time. I was so hungry when I left that I ate at McDonalds on the way home and didn't care...
    Last edited by gtae07; 10-21-2017 at 07:22 PM.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

Results are in... 13th of 23. And my thoughts on the last stage were correct; I placed 7th on that one. Let's not talk about one or two of the other stages

Looking at the total scores, my biggest goofs were the misses on that one stage, and just my incredibly slow shotgun work. A larger magazine tube would have helped, as well as a better loading system, and if it had been broken in. Just the shotgun fixes probably would have moved me up a place, and not missing targets would have gotten me another one. Oh well, stuff to practice. I guess it's not too bad for a rank beginner...
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    13th out of 23, not bad at all. Just showing up the first time and getting out of your comfort zone is half the battle.

User Tag List