Thread: Mini-Review - Poodle Shooter - K-9 Kannon

Mini-Review - Poodle Shooter - K-9 Kannon

Saw this Poodle Shooter today at Cabelas and had to bring it home to try out.

The K-9 Kannon made by Hyper-Pet is a standard size tennis ball launcher (they also have a mini-sized, that uses special 1/2-sized tennis balls). Made of a green ABS plastic, with orange highlights, the K-9 Kannon (or just K-9) is held together with 12 stainless steel phillips head screws, with the two at the muzzle end being all the way through and fitted with captive nuts (a nice touch for some extra strength). Inside, two industrial grade rubber bands, propel the firing rod forward from the cocked position.

The rod itself fits into a slightly over-sized channel and moves in and out smoothly with no hang-ups and minimal play. The charging handle is generit ously sized and my size XL hand is able to comfortably use three fingers to charge the gun. Because of the resistance-based propulsion system, this is not a one finger loading system, think gunky AR level of effort, not quite stuck case level of effort though. There are a total of 8 adjustable power levels from, "droopy dog" to "if my dog doesn't bring that ball back, it's gone".

Sights are non-existent, and the parabolic trajectory of this shooter, means it will take some practice to "bloop" the projectile to your desired range and target. Fortunately, the projectiles are brightly colored and velocity is sufficiently low that you can watch the arc and drop, to get better. The trigger pull, is surprisingly good. Don't get me wrong, it's no match grade 1911, but it's no Glock either. - By my tip-of-finger estimate it breaks at about 7-8 pounds of pressure. It has some creep, but it's mostly a long-steady pull, more DA revo like than anything else. The break is clean. Which means that the trigger does not disrupt your "aiming" when it breaks.

That's the good, now the bad. - The charging hand reciprocates. And it's central location on the rear of the K-9, makes it such that fitting a stock is impossible. This is not that big a problem anyways, because at 23" overall unloaded, the K-9 would be an AOW or SB-BL (Short Barrel Ball Launcher) if fitted with a stock or fore-grip (remember not to conceal it folks). - Fortunately the folks at Hyper-Pet thought of a solution. They fitted a sling loop on the rear, which nicely holds a 1" wide strap. I fitted a spare quick release buckle strap. Now I can use sling tension to keep the K-9 tight for aiming and get those balls where I want them to go. It also makes it more more convenient to carry and store the K-9 between uses.

Reception - Two main users are intended for the K-9, dad and 4-legged child. Reception has been positive by both to the tune of big smiles, wagging tails, and tiredness from chasing down projectiles all day. For $24.99 + Tax - It's a solid recommend. If I had any changes, a fitted stock, with a single sided charging handle would make shooting easier. And also, the GIANT safety banner on both sides of the receiver looks like something Ruger would do circa 1998.

Name:  IMG_2280.jpeg
Views: 436
Size:  73.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_2279.jpeg
Views: 417
Size:  78.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_2281.jpeg
Views: 454
Size:  75.3 KB

Makes me wish I had a dog.

Give Magpul a few months for the stock.

If anyone was wondering - If it fits in the muzzle - it shoots.

Name:  IMG_2292.JPG
Views: 248
Size:  98.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_2291.JPG
Views: 219
Size:  61.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_2289.JPG
Views: 213
Size:  63.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_2288.JPG
Views: 226
Size:  81.0 KB

The Kong and the stuffed Chewbacca shoot particularly well. The dog is insane for the bird training dummies and though you have to keep the muzzle up, it "flips" out of the gun and across the room and the dog loses his collective shit chasing it...

User Tag List