Page 51 of 76 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: OK, I'm a K-Frame Addict. So Sue Me.

Quote Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
    I picked up a like-new (appears to be unfired) 19-3 Texas Ranger Commemorative Edition today at the gun show. I was looking for a shooter-grade 4" 19, but the only ones I saw were either scrap-metal candidates (for the same price as this one), or double the price. I don't collect commemorative guns and have no connection to the Texas Rangers...I was just interested due to the condition (it has some slight freckles in the finish on the sideplate).

.... smooth Target Stocks w/ Texas Ranger star medallions...

If you decide you dont want to use/keep the smooth factory targets, can I have first opportunity?

I used to see them now and then in used grip boxes at gun shops and shows, and are one of my favorite grips.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    If you decide you dont want to use/keep the smooth factory targets, can I have first opportunity?

I used to see them now and then in used grip boxes at gun shops and shows, and are one of my favorite grips.
    Haven't decided if I want to keep it and shoot it, or sell it to someone that might appreciate it as a collectible and find another shooter 19 (or a 4" 28, which is what I went to the show looking for).

If I keep it, I'll bolt on some Altamonts and put these away as they have Ranger star medallions in place of S&W logos.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Most of the SOs are completely ignorant of the manual of arms for revolvers. I’ve had muzzle called on me numerous times because the muzzle of my revolver was pointed over the berm during a reload. I’ve had “fencer” called because I place my right thumb through the cylinder window during reloads. I understand the ignorance and don’t mind dealing with that. What does bother me in the institutional apathy towards their own rules.
    I'm not in IDPA, but their rulebook makes no mention of this. So I'm down with "fuck those guys".
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    So what's the "finger" call about? Guess I never heard that one, either...

Okie John
    When a SO calls "finger" it's because you're either moving with your finger on the trigger, not to be confused with shooting on the move, or you're manipulating the firearm in some fashion so that placing your finger on the trigger is unsafe, ie. a precursor to a ND or UD, or you're starting the Course of Fire with the pistol at low ready and your finger is on the trigger.

For those who were looking for the safety rules regarding finger calls they are in Section 2.6. Section 2 is listed in the Table of Contents as "Safety" and 2.6 is Titled as...wait for it...Fingers.

2.6.1 Fingers must be obviously and visibly outside the trigger guard during loading, unloading, drawing, holstering,
    while moving (unless engaging targets) and during malfunction clearance.
    2.6.1.1 First offense is a Procedural Error penalty.
    2.6.1.2 Second Offense is a DQ from the match.
    2.6.1.3 Each “Finger” violation will be clearly noted on the shooter’s score for tracking purposes.

Here's the link:https://www.idpa.com/wp-content/uplo...er_edition.pdf
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I guess that a 3" Security- or Speed-Six would do.
    Absolutely. Either would probably defeat the purpose of your purchase of the 66 as they are getting pretty close to the same street value as a lot of older K frame gats.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    I investigated further this morning, noticed the cylinder stop wasn't dropping on the DA pulls that locked up. Tore it down and removed the stop, noticed a very slight amount of dried oil "smegma" on the stop. Cleaned it up and gave it a light polish, installed all the innards again and gave it a try...

All is well now, works like a charm. Amazing how just a miniscule amount of crud can affect function.
    Well, FML...scratch the above.

After removing/cleaning the cylinder stop earlier, I got @ 50 DA pulls with no issue. Went to the garage just now and it's back to doing it again. But the issue is definitely the cylinder stop...not sure how to "tune" that.

Well, FML...scratch the above.

After removing/cleaning the cylinder stop earlier, I got @ 50 DA pulls with no issue. Went to the garage just now and it's back to doing it again. But the issue is definitely the cylinder stop...not sure how to "tune" that.
    Paging @Outpost75

He may have an idea. @Wayne Dobbs may also.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I guess that a 3" Security- or Speed-Six would do.
    As a retired LEO who started when revolvers were king and S&W was the Dodge Diplomat of revolvers this thread makes me sad. I presently only own one S&W but have fond memories of the ones I was issued pre-semiauto.

Ruger claimed that they lost money on every -Six series gun they sold. Looking at what K frame guns are going for I’d hazard that Ruger could rebuild the tooling and sell a ton of 2 1/2” to 4.2” modern -Six's for more than what was needed to turn a decent profit.

Holy moly...

I've recently ("recently" = ~5 years) been on a bit of a K-frame kick. A long time ago I purchased a police trade-in M64 DAO for my dad from AIM surplus for ~$200. Since then, I purchased an additional 64 DAO trade-in for me, as well as a K-frame 6" PPC gun and a blued model 10 with the light (standard) bbl. Discounting the PPC gun (I'm not sure why I bought it, other than it was at the LGS and the action is so nice...), I have always dealt with the fixed (lack of real) sights on my K-frames---but begrudgingly.

What I now realize is that I didn't know what I didn't know! A friend of mine brought his M19-3 to a recent range session, and all I can say is holy hell--what a difference. That revolver actually has sights!

So, my first real handgun was a GP100. I took it through the reserve sheriff's academy at a time when very few wheelguns were represented, but the COFs were still revolver-friendly, I ended up taking 1st overall in the firearms portion. I wanted a 686, but the GP was cheaper, if less elegant, and had a good reputation. but, man, that model 19! From sporty .38 +P to the occasional .357, that is one nice piece!

So what's my point? I can totally see why a new one costs double a G17. And I kinda want one. And this thread is about K-frame addicts, so maybe don't have a better reason, but damn, it was nice--I get the addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    It's stupid, but if I had a dollar for ever stupid decision S&W has made...
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    It’s not just QC issues, it’s production line and equipment setup choices as well. Hopefully I can post my experiences dealing with their poor choice of a particular tool for a non-revolver production line and what a headache it turned into tomorrow when I’m at a real keyboard.
    So 8-9 years ago S&W bought some of our pneumatic shutoff tools. They're kind of like an impact wrench except there's a way to set the torque and the tools will shut off when it hits that torque, +/- a certain percent of course. These tools are a real PITA to work on. They require special equipment and procedures. At the time we had 1 tech that was qualified (and willing) to work on them. I don't remember the location other than it was in MA but it wasn't Springfield and I don't know what product line other than I was told it wasn't revolvers. They did not buy them for actual firearms assembly but for torquing jigs and fixtures used in said assembly.

Not long after receiving the tools, they were sent to us for a warranty evaluation because they wouldn't hold the torque settings. The tech tested multiple units and found them working normally. The short version is, the highest torque spec allowed for their application was less than the lowest setting the tool was capable of.

We never could get a straight answer out as to why they were sold the wrong tool for the application. And of course S&W wasn't interested in exchanging them for tools that would do exactly what they wanted done. They were happy to send a batch back for evaluation every 6-8 weeks, bitch about the turn around time AND pay for the evaluation because the service manager made it clear early on this was an application problem, not a warranty issue. This went on for 3-4 years then we stopped seeing them come in. I don't know if someone had a "WTH are we doing?" conversation or if some other salesman showed up with better rainbows and unicorn farts and they went to a different vendor.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List