Page 29 of 76 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: OK, I'm a K-Frame Addict. So Sue Me.

I don’t know, Stephanie. My 2.5” 686+ was canted a hair to the right, and my rear sight is dead center. I have gun OCD, and it did make me a bit queasy for a week, but then I forgot about it (miracle). Are the barrel sleeves easier to turn than traditional barrels? I can’t imagine anyone turning down easy work.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    I don’t know, Stephanie. My 2.5” 686+ was canted a hair to the right, and my rear sight is dead center. I have gun OCD, and it did make me a bit queasy for a week, but then I forgot about it (miracle). Are the barrel sleeves easier to turn than traditional barrels? I can’t imagine anyone turning down easy work.
    I just emailed the mothership and sent the photos as attachments. So we'll see what they say.

I don't know about turning the shrouds.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I just emailed the mothership and sent the photos as attachments. So we'll see what they say.

I don't know about turning the shrouds.
    I’m always curious, and found this:

With the Smiths, a good part of the benefit to the maker lies in the fact that the barrel shroud contains the front sight, and the shroud's designed and cast to fit directly into a consistent position in the front of the frame. This automatically places the front sight into proper alignment, and eliminates the additional time required in tightening the older barrel in correct alignment under the one-piece barrel system.
    With the two-piece S&W barrel, it should theoretically be impossible to get a canted front sight blade.

The assembler places the shroud on the frame, inserts the rifled barrel tube, screws it down to the proper depth with their proprietary internal wrench, and the barrel's done.
    In the older one-piece barrel, the unit is screwed in and (supposedly) torqued to a depth that mates correct barrel/cylinder gap with a centered front blade relative to the frame. That can take some time in getting the barrel set up correctly.

The wrench that S&W uses is simply a rod with rifling grooves. They don’t make it available to the public…

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    I’m always curious, and found this:

With the Smiths, a good part of the benefit to the maker lies in the fact that the barrel shroud contains the front sight, and the shroud's designed and cast to fit directly into a consistent position in the front of the frame. This automatically places the front sight into proper alignment, and eliminates the additional time required in tightening the older barrel in correct alignment under the one-piece barrel system.
    With the two-piece S&W barrel, it should theoretically be impossible to get a canted front sight blade.
    That may be what they say, but I'm pretty sure that it's actually possible to get a canted front sight blade.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Are red ones thicker or thinner than the rest?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Back in the late '70s I had a model 19 4" barrel. I had to crank that sight blade all the way to the right to center the impact. Didn't know what was causing it to shoot like it did. If I knew then what I know now I might have sent it back. Hope S&W makes it right. I would think that rear sight blade positioning would help you make your case as well.

They’re sending me a pre-paid return label.

Name:  614FA989-F294-4AC2-954A-DE4582AF6329.jpeg
Views: 509
Size:  12.2 KB
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    Back in the late '70s I had a model 19 4" barrel. I had to crank that sight blade all the way to the right to center the impact. Didn't know what was causing it to shoot like it did. If I knew then what I know now I might have sent it back. Hope S&W makes it right. I would think that rear sight blade positioning would help you make your case as well.
    I emailed them a photo of the first group shot at the target, to show that it was hitting to the left.

And it’s on the way to the mothership.

Stay tuned.

User Tag List