Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2666747576

Thread: OK, I'm a K-Frame Addict. So Sue Me.

Site Supporter
    Name:  IMG_1874.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  59.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_1875.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  55.5 KB

Got this 12-2 off layaway this afternoon.

What a sweet gun. Can’t wait to shoot it. Needs leather.

I just picked this Smith and Wesson 10-6 up for my son’s upcoming 18th birthday. We are both headed to the Revolver Roundup this year. So, I decided that I should probably pick up an older Smith for my son to take and make some memories with.

It isn’t anything fancy, but I kind of also wanted to get him a gun that he wouldn’t be afraid to use because it was too nice. I have a couple of holsters for it and I plan on making a leather holster for him to go with this gun. It looks like it is a year or two older than I am (1972-73 manufacture) which is also kind of cool.

It’s got the standard holster wear but not too shabby for a 50 + year old gun.

My hope is that someday when I am gone he will look back on this old gun and be filled with happy memories of the year we went to class together and learned how to properly run a wheel gun from the masters of the art.

Name:  IMG_8474.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  100.7 KBName:  IMG_8473.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  100.4 KB

You're a good dad

Quote Originally Posted by defilade View Post
    I just picked this Smith and Wesson 10-6 up for my son’s upcoming 18th birthday. We are both headed to the Revolver Roundup this year. So, I decided that I should probably pick up an older Smith for my son to take and make some memories with.

It isn’t anything fancy, but I kind of also wanted to get him a gun that he wouldn’t be afraid to use because it was too nice. I have a couple of holsters for it and I plan on making a leather holster for him to go with this gun. It looks like it is a year or two older than I am (1972-73 manufacture) which is also kind of cool.

It’s got the standard holster wear but not too shabby for a 50 + year old gun.

My hope is that someday when I am gone he will look back on this old gun and be filled with happy memories of the year we went to class together and learned how to properly run a wheel gun from the masters of the art.

Name:  IMG_8474.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  100.7 KBName:  IMG_8473.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  100.4 KB
    Defilade:

Good on you for doing this for your son. I did it for mine and it has paid numerous dividends, miost notably being my son assists me when I am teaching and he is becoming a fine instructor in his own right.

A couple of suggestions.

First, make sure the gun is zeroed. It will probably shoot 158 grain rounds to the sights, but it is worth testing and confirming that beforehand.

Second, make sure you acquire a sufficient amount of the ammunition the gun is zeroed for before coming to the Round Up. Between 500 and 1,000 rounds shooter.

Third, please make sure the gun fits your son's hand. He needs to try various stocks to see which one fits best. If you are watching expenses (who isn't these days?) a simple grip adaptor such as Tyler (long lead time), BK (probably easiest to acquire) or an old Pachmayr (my favorite) can be used with the service stocks and do amazing things for the shootability/handling of these guns.

Fourth, grab a set of Safariland Comp II or Comp III speed loaders and a pouch to carry them in.

Fifth, be sure he can see the front sight. I put a coat of Testor's white model paint on the front sight, followed by two (2) coats of Testor's blaze orange model paint, followed up with a coat of clear coat sealant (you find all of these at model/craft stores). This does wonders for being able to see the front sight.

Sixth, be sure the gun is unloaded and dryfire it to make sure it functions properly. Have your son do some dryfire as well. Again, be absolutely sure the gun is empty and there is no ammunition present. All he really needs to do is dry fire (double action only) and watch the front sight as the hammer drops. This will help smooth out his trigger press so he can get the most out of class.

Seventh: Get him a decent holster and belt (you probably already have this figured out). These things don't need to be expensive but sturdy is the word.

Last bit of advice, be sure you get registered for the Round up soon. Last I heard 85 out of 100 slots have already been assigned.

I anticipate teaching again at this year's Round Up and hopefully our paths will cross. Please be sure to introduce yourself to me. Sound off if you have any questions. I often hear folks' gripe about the state of our Republic. Doing stuff like this helps our children understand the realities of a dangerous world and helps them become responsible citizens. Good job, dad!

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    Defilade:

Good on you for doing this for your son. I did it for mine and it has paid numerous dividends, miost notably being my son assists me when I am teaching and he is becoming a fine instructor in his own right.

A couple of suggestions.

First, make sure the gun is zeroed. It will probably shoot 158 grain rounds to the sights, but it is worth testing and confirming that beforehand.

Second, make sure you acquire a sufficient amount of the ammunition the gun is zeroed for before coming to the Round Up. Between 500 and 1,000 rounds shooter.

Third, please make sure the gun fits your son's hand. He needs to try various stocks to see which one fits best. If you are watching expenses (who isn't these days?) a simple grip adaptor such as Tyler (long lead time), BK (probably easiest to acquire) or an old Pachmayr (my favorite) can be used with the service stocks and do amazing things for the shootability/handling of these guns.

Fourth, grab a set of Safariland Comp II or Comp III speed loaders and a pouch to carry them in.

Fifth, be sure he can see the front sight. I put a coat of Testor's white model paint on the front sight, followed by two (2) coats of Testor's blaze orange model paint, followed up with a coat of clear coat sealant (you find all of these at model/craft stores). This does wonders for being able to see the front sight.

Sixth, be sure the gun is unloaded and dryfire it to make sure it functions properly. Have your son do some dryfire as well. Again, be absolutely sure the gun is empty and there is no ammunition present. All he really needs to do is dry fire (double action only) and watch the front sight as the hammer drops. This will help smooth out his trigger press so he can get the most out of class.

Seventh: Get him a decent holster and belt (you probably already have this figured out). These things don't need to be expensive but sturdy is the word.

Last bit of advice, be sure you get registered for the Round up soon. Last I heard 85 out of 100 slots have already been assigned.

I anticipate teaching again at this year's Round Up and hopefully our paths will cross. Please be sure to introduce yourself to me. Sound off if you have any questions. I often hear folks' gripe about the state of our Republic. Doing stuff like this helps our children understand the realities of a dangerous world and helps them become responsible citizens. Good job, dad!

Bruce

Thank you for the pointers. We registered for Revolver Round Up as soon as it opened up so we are set there.

My plan for presenting it to him was to get him at least 4 of his own Safariland Comp II’s (I have quite a few that I have picked up) and some snap caps. I have been steadily picking up revolver stuff the last few years so I don’t think I will have a problem getting him set up.

I have been a reloader since my dad and I shot together back in the early 90’s so we have a bunch of 38 specials to practice on this summer before the class. I do need to start picking up factory ammo for the class though. I usually shoot 158 SWC’s or 148 WC’s so he will hopefully help reload and learn the gun before we come to class.

I have a few different grips lying around so we will find out what he likes. I recently put a BK adapter on my 2” model 64 and really like it so I might grab another one for him.

He and I were talking the other day and he was telling me how he is really looking forward to November. He hasn’t really shot double action revolvers that much but did a lot of practice with a Ruger Wrangler single action back during COVID. We have a range outside our back door.

The kid has grown up shooting, so I am excited that he is interested in learning revolvers.

Thanks again and I look forward to meeting you in person.

Wade

Quote Originally Posted by onehalfmvsquared View Post
    You're a good dad
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by defilade View Post
    Thank you for the pointers. We registered for Revolver Round Up as soon as it opened up so we are set there.

He and I were talking the other day and he was telling me how he is really looking forward to November. He hasn’t really shot double action revolvers that much but did a lot of practice with a Ruger Wrangler single action back during COVID. We have a range outside our back door.

The kid has grown up shooting, so I am excited that he is interested in learning revolvers.

Thanks again and I look forward to meeting you in person.

Wade
    Wade:

Excellent. I look forward to meeting you and your son as well. See you in Nivember!

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Site Supporter
    Name:  70931210770__29F982B9-7283-4503-9FF8-6C9149BEF32E.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  70.9 KB
    10-5 ca. 1963 that I picked up last summer at a LGS where I had just served a witness subpoena.
    The opposite side of the barrel had about an inch or so of mild discoloration from resting on something for probably decades.
    Three Benjamins and it was mine.
    Even had a S&W marked grip adapter.

Site Supporter
    ^^^^And what looks like the original grips. Score!
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    ^^^^And what looks like the original grips. Score!
    Name:  IMG_1287.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  61.5 KB
    Yep. Couldn’t let that one get away.
    That particular LGS was responsible for another wallet draining event on my last day of work.
    3” half lug GP-100 that I have wanted for a while.
    Nice retirement present to myself 😀

User Tag List