Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me pick a bedroom pistol safe

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    @FPS ...How do you get it open if / when the Simplex lock fails? (Especially in bolted down state.)
    Good question. Our problem was failing to lock properly. Not sure what you would do if it locked and failed to open. We were a bit surprised experiencing the issue since so many online praised the simplex lock design. But I guess all mechanical things fail and we got lucky

Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post
    Good question. Our problem was failing to lock properly. Not sure what you would do if it locked and failed to open. We were a bit surprised experiencing the issue since so many online praised the simplex lock design. But I guess all mechanical things fail and we got lucky
    Thanks for clarifying.

Sent you a text offering a cost free solution.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I have a SV500 that I bought from Costco. I haven’t mounted it because the interior foam requires modification if you have a WML attached to the pistol. Just something to consider. I’ve since attached my only WML to my shotgun so I should probably just use it.

I’ve read over and over that the simplex locks are preferable on these cheap, little safes.
    Last edited by David S.; 10-23-2017 at 10:00 AM.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    @FPS ...How do you get it open if / when the Simplex lock fails? (Especially in bolted down state.)
    You would have to drill the lock's face plate in the right spots to be able to remove the Simplex lock to gain access. The manufacturer can provide that info to the customer if needed. Then you would just replace the lock, not the whole safe. These locks very seldom have a problem and in my 8.5 years working with them I haven't had any lock failures. Biggest issue is people not setting the code correctly when changing it and then they close the door before verifying that it is working correctly. I have seen that a few times, along with people just forgetting their combination.

The one exception is the FAS1 with the In&Out Keyed lock. It is designed to deadbolt the "Simplex" lock, but a side benefit is having a backup keyed entry. The backup entry can easily be disable by the user if they were concerned about having a key available.

Here is my take on a hand gun safe for the bedroom.... It should have a lock that will withstand the attempts of a curious child to open it. That is all. If you are expecting your handgun safe to provide other benefits, I think you will be disappointed. They are not going to protct against fire, theft, or a determined individual trying to open it.

As far as what type of lock (electronic, key, thumb reader, etc), I'd say it is personal preference. To be honest, I would recommend leaving the safe unlocked at night anyway, which is about the only time the gun would be in the safe anyway. Then it really doesn't matter what the locking mechanism is because you should never be opening it in a pressure situation. About the only time I have my gun locked in my hand gun safe is when our children have friends over and I'm not carrying the gun on my body for some reason (taking a shower or something like that). Otherwise, the gun is either on me, or it's at night when I leave the safe open anyway.

Edit - I should note that my children are all over the age of 10, so I'm not worried about a toddler in my room. That would obviously change my habits slightly.
    Last edited by ImNobody; 10-27-2017 at 10:42 AM.

No idea how good they are, but FWIW, Home Depot has some bookshelf and wall safes on their daily deal today.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Went with the SV500. It seems to be adequate to my needs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    #RESIST

@LittleLebowski
    How's that little safe working out for you?
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    @LittleLebowski
    How's that little safe working out for you?
    No issues, I use it daily.
    #RESIST

User Tag List