Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me pick a bedroom pistol safe

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Sorry, forgot to add a question about the Fort Knox Simplex design; has the button manufacturing issue cited by this video 6 years ago been resolved now?

Back then there were two Simplex lock manufacturers, Kaba and Illinois Lock. Today there is only one, DormaKaba. The holes were sized to accommodate the slight differences on the buttons/faceplate from the two manufacturers. There was no mechanical problems due to this, but the buttons on the Kaba version caused some play where they didn't feel solid and if mounted in a vehicle they would rattle a little.

Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    Back then there were two Simplex lock manufacturers, Kaba and Illinois Lock. Today there is only one, DormaKaba. The holes were sized to accommodate the slight differences on the buttons/faceplate from the two manufacturers. There was no mechanical problems due to this, but the buttons on the Kaba version caused some play where they didn't feel solid and if mounted in a vehicle they would rattle a little.
    Much obliged, that’s very helpful.

Sorry, forgot to add a question about the Fort Knox Simplex design; has the button manufacturing issue cited by this video 6 years ago been resolved now?

" . . . textile . . ."

The word he wants is "tactile."

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    " . . . textile . . ."

The word he wants is "tactile."
    Unless it's covered in cloth
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Sooooo...I’m informed we will most likely not be moving this RSC with us when we get out of our Apartment next Spring. I am meant to replace it with two smaller safes/RSCs that will be stacked as his/hers that we can move ourselves. (the DynaVault is great but after having to have it moved each time we want something smaller).

So, specs are:

- Around 0.8 to 1.0 ft cu
    - Cost less than $250 ea ($500 total)
    - Acceptable security (proof against a sketchy seven year old armed with a popsicle stick, say)
    - Fire rated desirable but not required
    - Electronic entry is ok since this is not a bedside “I need my gun right now” use case

Anything along these lines spring to mind? I’ve looked at the thread again and those Verifi Safe Biometrics look interesting.
    Got my new bedside safe installed inside the nightstand today. What do you think? I mean I put a light and placemat on the nightstand, you can't even see it, it's so disguised. Amirite?

Name:  IMG_7851.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  35.6 KB

Kididng. We are moving (yes, again) so today I got the DynaVault RSC out of the back of the walk-in closet with a hydraulic jack and a couple HF small dollys. Geez. 330 lbs is not light. Still, at least now I can decide what to do with it. One option is to sell it locally, but I'd need to find someone with a need as well as ability to move this dang thing out of our ground floor apartment.

Sigh. Still on the hunt for a decent safe that can store say 4 or 5 handguns, simplex lock preferred. Everything I'm finding is either only big enough for a couple pistols or is humongous (like what I have) and heavy. They have a crap biometric safe about the right size at Costco but I'm pretty sure I can find a Lockpicking Lawyer video of it being opened by a 4 year old with a Popsicle stick.
    Last edited by RJ; 11-11-2020 at 03:28 PM.

RJ are you done with the FLA coast and storms?

Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    RJ are you done with the FLA coast and storms?
    No, we still like Florida and being near the water. We’re moving from Tampa to Venice, a bit farther down the coast. It’s much quieter and less crowded, located at the southern part of Sarasota County.

Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    The largest one will easily do that.
    Thanks. Do you know where I can get the actual interior dimensions of these safes?

Thanks. Do you know where I can get the actual interior dimensions of these safes?
    I do, but cannot help you here. Sorry.

Still on the hunt for a decent safe that can store say 4 or 5 handguns, simplex lock preferred.
    Well my suggestion, and what I do, is get one "quick access" lock box, with a Simplex lock for the "bedroom," and just keep one gun there. The other guns can be stored in separate lockbox or safe, but don't need to be "quick access." If something needs to be dealt with in the middle of the night you won't be taking 4 or 5 guns with you. So why slow yourself down re-locking a box that has more guns in it, when you can grab the one gun you need, and just leave the now empty lockbox open.

My V-line top draw has one pistol, a spare mag, and a spare flashlight. All the other guns get locked up separately.

User Tag List