Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick a bedroom pistol safe

Yep the mounting plate is included. The tray shown in the drawer of your second pic is not...the drawer just comes with a 3/8" sheet of foam for the bottom and a 3/4" layer of "pluckable" foam that could be used to keep things from shifting around. The recessed areas on the mounting plate will fit a 1/4" hex head cap screw. The safe is attached to the plate with four 1/4" thumbscrews from the inside while the drawer is removed.

Name:  plate.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  29.9 KB

Ok, so I setup my teeny "collection" (if you can call it that) of guns so I could estimate how big a "box" I need for storage:

Name:  IMG_7907.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  81.4 KB

A "box" that fits around this envelope would need to be (I measured) 14" wide x 6.9" high x 12.3" deep. I kept looking and looking, and if i can live with a Biometric lock, this unit will work:

https://www.amazon.com/Verifi-Smart-...dp/B07VPX9DMR/

It's listed as inside dimensions of 17" wide x 7.3" high x 11.8" deep, which if I use all my fingers and toes cypherin', works out to 0.84 ft cu, not far off my desired spec of about 1.0 ft cu. They are available at Costco online for $269.99. I'll try and go get look at one at the store, meanwhile, any intel, or previous experience, with VeriSafe appreciated.

@RJ,

Why not put 4 of your handguns in the small safe you decided to keep and then get a good quality handgun safe for the other one so you have quick access to it if needed?

Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    Yea, unfortunately that's not a real commonly requested item. Quite a few people want to keep two or three handguns in one place. Most commonly they have their primary home defense gun in there and want to put their CCW in there at night. There are quick access handgun safes that will hold several handguns, but they wouldn't be in a standing up position and the holsters would also take up some of the room available.
    I still don’t understand why people wouldn’t just have a standard big safe/RSC for all but 2 handguns. One of these 2 handguns is your primary bump in the night gun maybe bigger than CCW and maybe with weapon mounted light. And the second is your actual CCW gun.

The home defense pistol stays in the quick access small safe by itself. The CCW gun lives on your waistband. And when you go to sleep put the CCW gun unlocked in your nightstand next to your keys and wallet and phone. I don’t understand why I’d ever need to put my CCW gun in the quick access pistol bedroom mini safe. It’s either on me or it’s off me temporarily like my keys/wallet because sleeping/showering/making sweet love, but doesn’t need to be locked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    I don’t understand why I’d ever need to put my CCW gun in the quick access pistol bedroom mini safe. It’s either on me or it’s off me temporarily like my keys/wallet because sleeping/showering/making sweet love, but doesn’t need to be locked up.
    It's desirable for people who have other people roaming about the house, like kids.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Ok, so I setup my teeny "collection" (if you can call it that) of guns so I could estimate how big a "box" I need for storage:
    Safes in this size are actually the most common size made......hotel safes!

I'm not sure where hotels sell their stuff when they go out of business, but with the covid pandemic and various businesses going out of business I would look into this option...you might be able to get one on the cheap.

I have no specific knowledge of Verisafe, but I do have a general aversion to fingerprint readers and would prefer a traditional digital interface to fingerprint reading if a simplex wasn't available.

In the aim of whether a safe is good enough for what you're expecting it to do, you might want to look at the AMSEC EST916, which fits your listed desires and security expectations, and only costs $170. There's also the Sentry Safe X105 at $100.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-25-2020 at 03:52 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Fort Knox classic is my favorite. Staying away from those newfangled biometrics.

Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    @RJ,

Why not put 4 of your handguns in the small safe you decided to keep and then get a good quality handgun safe for the other one so you have quick access to it if needed?
    Sure, that's an option, but: In order to do this in our new place, we'd need to physically move the DynaVault next year. It weighs over 300 lbs. We're not really willing to fund (it cost $250 to have Wizard Lock and Safe in Clearwater move it from Lutz to Tampa) it if we don't do it, and renting a truck with a lift gate (the only way we'd be able to DIY) to get from Tampa FL to Venice FL (where we are moving to) isn't cheap either. Our new operational environment is also changing, going from an apartment complex into residential gated neighbourhood. The DynaVault just doesn't fit into that equation anymore, as great an RSC as it is. And was mentioned, keeping guns out of grand kids hands is a primary driver for me, so I think a small bolted down or attached "lock box", or multiple similar items, within the house just make more sense for us. I will not rule out a FAS1 or similar "fast access" safe for bedside use, as part of that approach either. It's just the "all in one" safe isn't going to work.

@TGS thanks for the references for the other options. I will note I used to work in Orlando for itty bitty machines, where our site developed some pretty advanced finger printing technology, which if I am not mistaken went on to be incorporated into Federal Law Enforcement systems (might have been AFIS? Not sure), the details of which I was never that close to. But it was a big contract.

The VerifiSafe I mentioned above has ties to Orlando, so I am wondering if the folks who set up that company are not in fact ex-IBM or at least familiar with that, and thus (hopefully) better informed about how to implement a biometric lock device. I might know some of them heh. I'm definitely in the Luddite catagory at least as far as locking mechanisms go; I've used standard spin combination locks on Government approved safes for years, as I am sure many here have. While I would vastly prefer a mechanical lock like a Simplex, I am willing to give bio a try based on the positive reviews here and elsewhere of the VerifiSafe. I'll look at the others, much obliged.

I saw this article the other day about the history of the "Simplex" lock and thought with the interest in them here some might like to read it.

It might be the most ubiquitous security device on the planet. As the mechanical push-button lock prepares to celebrate the 60th anniversary of its inception in 2021, it remains the most popular lock in the security marketplace and one of the most purchased items.
    https://www.locksmithledger.com/lock...cGZPBP7z5yBjwg

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Sure, that's an option, but: In order to do this in our new place, we'd need to physically move the DynaVault next year. It weighs over 300 lbs. We're not really willing to fund (it cost $250 to have Wizard Lock and Safe in Clearwater move it from Lutz to Tampa) it if we don't do it, and renting a truck with a lift gate (the only way we'd be able to DIY) to get from Tampa FL to Venice FL (where we are moving to) isn't cheap either. Our new operational environment is also changing, going from an apartment complex into residential gated neighbourhood. The DynaVault just doesn't fit into that equation anymore, as great an RSC as it is. And was mentioned, keeping guns out of grand kids hands is a primary driver for me, so I think a small bolted down or attached "lock box", or multiple similar items, within the house just make more sense for us. I will not rule out a FAS1 or similar "fast access" safe for bedside use, as part of that approach either. It's just the "all in one" safe isn't going to work.

@TGS thanks for the references for the other options. I will note I used to work in Orlando for itty bitty machines, where our site developed some pretty advanced finger printing technology, which if I am not mistaken went on to be incorporated into Federal Law Enforcement systems (might have been AFIS? Not sure), the details of which I was never that close to. But it was a big contract.

The VerifiSafe I mentioned above has ties to Orlando, so I am wondering if the folks who set up that company are not in fact ex-IBM or at least familiar with that, and thus (hopefully) better informed about how to implement a biometric lock device. I might know some of them heh. I'm definitely in the Luddite catagory at least as far as locking mechanisms go; I've used standard spin combination locks on Government approved safes for years, as I am sure many here have. While I would vastly prefer a mechanical lock like a Simplex, I am willing to give bio a try based on the positive reviews here and elsewhere of the VerifiSafe. I'll look at the others, much obliged.
    I would stay away from biometric safes or do not use the biometric option if the safe comes with it. They do not work if you have lube on your hands. A friend told me.

User Tag List