Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me pick a bedroom pistol safe

Quote Originally Posted by ImNobody View Post
    Here is my take on a hand gun safe for the bedroom.... It should have a lock that will withstand the attempts of a curious child to open it. That is all. If you are expecting your handgun safe to provide other benefits, I think you will be disappointed. They are not going to protct against fire, theft, or a determined individual trying to open it.
    No kids in the picture for me yet but my idea is similar except I don't want to interrupt a burglary in progress in my home and get shot by my own gun.

Help me pick a bedroom pistol safe

Way out of my lane, but I purchased on of these Residential Storage Containers last year.

Hayman DV-3019.

https://www.haymansafe.com/Dynavault.html

Features include:

Residential Security Container (RSC) Burglar Rating.
    Heavy 11 Gauge Body
    Solid 1/4" Steel Door w/Drill Resistant Hard Plate
    Tri-Spoke handle.
    (2) Adjustable Shelves.
    2 pre-drilled mount holes.
    3 way boltwork extends bolts on three sides of the door to give full protection with dead-bolts on the fouth side.
    Off white powder coated finish.
    Triple layered hard plate with spring loaded re-lockers.
    75 minute fire rating at 1200 degrees F.
    Auto Bolt Detent.
    1-1/4" Chrome Plated boltwork locking mechanism

I’m no expert for sure but this was quite a bit more than I originally envisaged paying. (About $1,400).

It is fairly heavy, but we were able to arrange a move recently. I’m glad we got the biggest model as it seems to have filled up quickly. I don’t store long guns so did not need a tall cabinet. I’m happier with this vs. say the ‘safes’ I saw at Costco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RJ; 08-27-2019 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by talos View Post
    No kids in the picture for me yet but my idea is similar except I don't want to interrupt a burglary in progress in my home and get shot by my own gun.
    And why do you prefer not to buy a gun at all?

Back on November 30, 2018, I posted on this thread seeking any feedback from someone who may have experience with this safe:

https://verifisafe.com/products/biom...rt-safe-s6000/

Nobody had any experience with that safe, but I moved forward and purchased one.

I have experience with a couple of "bedroom" pistol safes prior to this purchase, but this one is by far the best, most convenient to use small safe I have used. Very pleased with it. Have had it for 14 months and use it every single day. Batteries are still at 83% of full power. Recommended for those who might be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    Back on November 30, 2018, I posted on this thread seeking any feedback from someone who may have experience with this safe:

https://verifisafe.com/products/biom...rt-safe-s6000/

Nobody had any experience with that safe, but I moved forward and purchased one.

I have experience with a couple of "bedroom" pistol safes prior to this purchase, but this one is by far the best, most convenient to use small safe I have used. Very pleased with it. Have had it for 14 months and use it every single day. Batteries are still at 83% of full power. Recommended for those who might be interested.
    Interesting. I've convinced myself that I don't like biometrics, but I might have a use for one.

Has it ever misfired on a scan, causing you to have to rescan? If so, how long does it take to reset for the second scan?

From the user manual D/L, it looks like it can take up to four prints per user, and is capped at a maximum of 40 stored prints. No reason you couldn't make your left hand one user and your right hand a second user. (If you're really paranoid, and have lots of time on your hands, I suppose you could make each finger a user - LI, LM,LR, etc.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    Interesting. I've convinced myself that I don't like biometrics, but I might have a use for one.

Has it ever misfired on a scan, causing you to have to rescan? If so, how long does it take to reset for the second scan?

From the user manual D/L, it looks like it can take up to four prints per user, and is capped at a maximum of 40 stored prints. No reason you couldn't make your left hand one user and your right hand a second user. (If you're really paranoid, and have lots of time on your hands, I suppose you could make each finger a user - LI, LM,LR, etc.)
    I too am concerned about the reliability of biometric locks for something like a nightstand security container, but the technology seems to be improving. For example, my old iPhone’s thumbprint scanner was practically useless if my thumb was even a little bit wet. On the other hand, the newer iPhone’s face scanner seems to be almost magically reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I bought Verifi smart safe https://wisepick.org/best-home-safe/#product3 (Biometric Gun Safe) about half a year ago. During this time, I have never had a scan failure of biometric lock. We scanned the fingerprints of my hand and the hands of my wife. It always works (from) the first time. It seems reliable. I am delighted with this safe. Its size is enough to store small weapons and some important documents.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I have used several of the Ft Knox safes daily for years and love them.

I had a budget electronic safe and found it lacking at times and dealing with batteries was a pain. Eventually it died and I tossed it in favor of the second Ft Knox.

This one easily holds two full sized pistols and mags.

https://www.amazon.com/Fort-Knox-FTK.../dp/B004H6MKI8

This one is smaller but the door opening may be better for you. I like it but prefer the first.

https://www.amazon.com/Fort-Knox-FTK.../dp/B0075QJ7S8
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Fort Knox Personal Handgun Safe PB4 + Free Dean Safe 13.5" Pistol Sock https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015D82XAS..._Y76tAbF95WK3D

Too small? I have no trouble getting a G19 in there.

They have other size options here.

https://www.deansafe.com/fort-knox-handgun-safes.html
    Somewhere along the line on this forum there was a thread like this, and I think it was. Ayre DocGKR or someone else that mentioned having one of these style safes stolen from their office with meds in it and recovered with the meds still in it. I bought two of the larger size ones in the last link and I’ve been happy with them. One each is “stashed” around the house, one of them built in to a piece of furniture.

I figure someone may make off with the safe, and I’d be unhappy about that, but the idea that they are as unlikely as possible to access the gun and use it against my family or someone’s else’s makes me feel better about the whole thing. I once had a shotgun stolen and the idea that the shitheads might use it against some other innocent still bothers me (although, my coo friend that investigated the VP crime told me it was far more likely they would use it to shoot another shithead).

We have the Fort Knox pistol box. It's built like a tank! We bought it from a place that sells nothing but safes. Every Christmas, the owner places $500 inside one and tells his family they can have the money if they can get the box open. He said no one has yet to open it.

Fort Knox has a good warranty. For example, if you have a Fort Knox gun safe and it's in a fire, they'll replace the safe.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-17-2020 at 08:25 AM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Check out this guys YouTube channel.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9...8W8JigLoZOh6FQ
    The majority of bedside "gun safes" are ridiculously easy to get into, often with nothing more than a butter knife or Bic pen cap.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List