Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Back in my day" veteran call out

"Back in my day" veteran call out

Loved this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    #RESIST

That is pretty funny, thanks. For the most part, I would say that technology has increased the creature comforts of most professions. I am not sure if soldiering is a great example. Technology advances between the Civil War and WWI / WWII may have given grunts better biscuits and rucks, but it also introduced the machine gun, chemical warfare, flame thrower, etc.
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-20-2017 at 09:47 AM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Those Civil War guys got nothing on me.
    You know how frustrated a guy can get when putting for eagle on Xbox and a single mortar round hits your FOB?

In all seriousness- like @Sensei said- creature comforts may be better, but getting shot at still sucks.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    That is pretty funny, thanks. For the most part, I would say that technology has increased the creature comforts of most professions. I am not sure if soldiering is a great example. Technology advances between the Civil War and WWI / WWII may have given grunts better biscuits and rucks, but it also introduced the machine gun, chemical warfare, flame thrower, etc.
    Not to mention the increasing loadout for an grunt.
    #RESIST

Fuck MOPP gear, or CBRN or whatever the hell they call it now. Sitting in the heat of the desert in that shit sucks, I don't care how you slice it. We'll call it even for the better chow and the rehabilitatin'.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Not to mention the increasing loadout for an grunt.
    Hell yes this too! I remember the RBA, then they were like hey we got this new light weight armor, let's hang a nut flap off it, neck guard, DAP's (or whatever) and tons of other shit to make it weigh the same as the old shit!
    Last edited by Mike C; 10-20-2017 at 01:12 PM.

Banned
    I got out in 2003. I live in Colorado the biggest improvements I've noticed are in footwear and cold weather gear.

Not to disparage anyone's service, but the primary cause of mortality during the Civil War was shitting yourself to death. Just sayin'
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 10-20-2017 at 01:19 PM.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Yeah, yeah, yeah, old geezer. About 200,000 Union soldiers deserted and went home, or re-enlisted under another name and got another bonus before deserting again. Try that shit now.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I got out in 2003. I live in Colorado the biggest improvements I've noticed are in footwear and cold weather gear.
    I got out in 1992. I'd add better night-vision technology, weapons training, and PT to that list.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

There was a boat load of changes after the Iraq invasion that you missed.

I was enlisted infantry from ‘92-95 (spent half down range with 10Mtn), ROTC cadet from ‘95-98, then AR non-deployable from ‘98-06 (med school and residency), and finally came back as a medical officer in 2006 at which time I was hammer deployed until separating in 2012.

I thought the changes over those 20 years were quite dramatic - particularly the differences between 98 and 06. We went from all M-16A2s with irons to M4s with Aimpoints, ACOGs, and Eotechs. Arriving at Camp Buerhing ahead of my first GWOT deployment in ‘06 was amazing to see the diversity of weapons and optics carried by junior enlisted. Everyone had NOGs by the time I left. Then, there was the body armor and vehicles; we went from HUMVEEs and M35s to 1151s, MRAPs, etc. Moreover, the FOB DFACs, MWRs, and CHUs in Iraq and A-Stan were light years ahead of anything in Haiti or East Africa in the 90s. From a medical perspective, things noticeably improved (TQs, hemostatic resuscitation, damage control surgery, etc.) in just 5-6 years.

Yep, life in the sandbox was good...until I got IED’ed...on my FIRST day in A-Stan. There were mines is Bosnia, but I never worried about IEDs. I wasn’t hurt bad but I never took another convoy on Rt. Bottle - ever.
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-20-2017 at 02:04 PM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

User Tag List