Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW in modern healthcare

Site Supporter
    Having to change scrubs adds a whole new level of complication. Unless you have a private area to do so, most of the options discussed here would be revealed. While most here would disapprove of this choice for most circumstances, that necessity would cause me to give serious thought to something small enough to be Palmer while transferring it from one set of scrubs to another, such as a North American Arms mini revolver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CoGT3 View Post

So, my roommate in medical school used to "volunteer" at the trauma center sewing up lacerations on the weekend often leaving around 0300-0400. He felt the same way, which is why he used to carry an old school reflex hammer with him. The kind with the big round head to check reflexes and the sharp pointed spear at the other end to check sensation. Felt it was he best defense around a trauma center where gang bangers used to show up to try and finish the job.

CCW while still in medical training is daunting at best. It will be a difficult scenario for me to pull off even having the luxury of being on the other side becoming a licensed US physician, board certified in my specialty , and privileged at my healthcare facility. For those out of the medical world, even a misdemeanor charge, does not require a conviction, can cause a big hiccup in all of those processes.

Totally agree about the ER scrubs, would be perfect for many people in healthcare, but I can't make that work.
    Your roommate is me - i stayed 3 hours after rounds to repair someone with 4 complex lacerations (face, anterior shoulder, forearm) he got from being assaulted by a man with a knife. Put 35 superficial sutures in him and maybe half as many deeps. His attacker was another one of our patients on the other side of the ED, getting cleared for jail. Been working with a preceptor in the ED since early M1, will continue to see patients under his supervision until I finish this MD PhD business up.

As much as a firearm would be comforting on occasion, the amount of myself that I have invested in my education far outweighs even entertaining the notion. It's a non-option.

I figured you were with a surgical specialty. The linen service scrubs requirement always struck me as silly given that 1. you are scrubbed, gowned and gloved and respect the sterile field and 2. the vast majority of linen service scrubs get taken home and washed there. I think the residents would go on strike if that were disallowed.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 10-21-2017 at 11:23 PM.

"The best was AIWB with the belt directly on skin, scrubs tied over top and shirt untucked."
    This is some good advice...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Oh...I also in my office work routinely rock the old George Clooney/Doug Ross MD look and wear khakis or chinos or Duluth Carpenters with a t shirt and scrub shirt, and nobody knows the wiser. Scrub shirts are great concealment garments.

In fact, if you see me at a class or in a class photo and that’s what I’m wearing, it’s not because I rushed there from pulling teeth or I’m that hardcore about showing off my embroidered garments...it’s to get the reps in.

. Fat Dentist, Full Size M&P9, three magazines, and two Givens’.

And then Sunday you did the same thing with an L frame. I was impressed with how well that concealed for you. I knew it was there and I still couldn't see it.

Q
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    And then Sunday you did the same thing with an L frame. I was impressed with how well that concealed for you. I knew it was there and I still couldn't see it.

Q
    Thank you. That module took place directly after the Givens class. I just put a ball cap on.

What are you wearing underneath your scrubs?

I'd wear a pair of shorts with belt loops and a belt.

You could the AIWB carry if that's your thing.

Then pull your scrubs on and tie them.

Is also search around to see if anyone makes scrubs with belt loops. I'd also wear a DARK T-shirt untucked with the scrub top over that. So you have DOUBLE concealment.

My suggestion is to go with a two gun combo...

A G26 on the ankle and a belly band or smart carry with something very light such as a LCP. The smaller lighter gun can serve you until you have time to get to your ankle. The beauty of scrub pants are that they can be a bit looser fitting in the front so as not to make the smart carry print more...plus you can wear them longer than your traditional pants and not look too sloppy as folks are more forgiving in passing judgment of long scrubs than pants. You would want the extra length on the scrubs for times when you are seated so as not to expose your ankle carry.
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

Site Supporter
    NPE carry is one of the few circumstances in which only carrying one gun makes a lot of sense. Only one gun to worry about being revealed, being transferred between one’s person and a secured location, being kept concealed in the bathroom, etc.

Let’s not forget the above expressed need to change scrubs at times during a shift. That adds very significant layers of complication to the problem of not being made at a time when one’s career could be in jeopardy.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CoGT3 View Post
    I do have "hospital" scrubs with fancy name and all but we are required to change into "OR" scrubs in both hospital and adjacent ambulatory OR's (supposed to reduce infection risk even though there is no real science to support that claim!). So that limits the ability to use any of the specialty scrubs out there. Would love to get away with those that are frequently used by ED staff, look just like 5.11 pants with side pockets on the thigh. Would have been perfect for pocket carry.
    The problem with OR scrubs is you never know which ones you are going to get. And most of them that I have worn are about 1 micron thick, and are usually too short in the legs (if you are tall), or baggy as hell (if the legs fit). Baggy isn't bad if you are using thunderwear, as the excess material may help with printing. But again, they may be out of super XL and you are stuck with regular L and looking like you are wearing your kids clothes, and printing like you are really happy to see them. Personally owned scrubs are much easier, those big pockets are awesome and easily hold a j-frame in a pocket holster.

It sounds like you are in a surgical field, which adds to the complication of changing clothes on a regular basis in an open locker room. Depending on what the outcome of discovery of the firearm is, I'd probably think hard about whether I wanted to wear one on days in the OR. There are ways to hide the gun in scrubs, hiding one while changing clothes is tough. If you have a closed area to change (Office), it isn't quite so bad. I was never able to work out a sufficient solution to change clothes in a locker room and keep a gun hidden.

Change in the restroom stall...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List