Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 686 old school safety mod?

S&W 686 old school safety mod?

Today I was visiting with a friend who began his LE career in the late 70's. He showed me one of his old duty 686 revolvers and it had a modification on the hammer that could be engaged, preventing it from moving. It's a little section machined that slides to the side and creates a mechanical block against the frame. He said a few guys back in the day had this mod done to prevent a crook from being able to use the weapon against the officer if obtained during a gun grab. He could not remember the company's name or many details but thought it was done sometime in 80' or 81'.
    I'd never seen anything like this before and would like to hear from you guys that have. I don't think I'd ever want a mod like this but I understand training and tactics have come a long way. Still, I thought it would make a good walk down memory lane for some so I took a few pics.

Attachment 21020

Yes, he says he regrets the laser engraving which was added years later.

Attachment 21021

Attachment 21022

I remember this modification, but I can't remember the outfit's name that was doing these. Mas will.

Hammer Safety, Inc. perhaps .......

Last edited by 41magfan; 10-20-2017 at 09:05 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I remember that! There was also a mod that added a notch and rotation to the cylinder thumbpiece that allowed you to push it forward and slightly up which locked the action. To fire, you thumbed it down like on a 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I remember that! There was also a mod that added a notch and rotation to the cylinder thumbpiece that allowed you to push it forward and slightly up which locked the action. To fire, you thumbed it down like on a 1911.
    Murabito!

Let's talk about Magna-Trigger while we're at it. :^)
    Last edited by 41magfan; 10-20-2017 at 09:42 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Officers having guns taken and used against them in those era's was a real and epic problem. The two biggest factors were holster design and the ever popular myth of "I ll never let anyone get that close to me to take my gun" mindset. Things like the Rogers SSIII (Safariland 070) holsters made things like a revolver safety unnnecessary, combined with much better weapon retention training.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Officers having guns taken and used against them in those era's was a real and epic problem. The two biggest factors were holster design and the ever popular myth of "I ll never let anyone get that close to me to take my gun" mindset. Things like the Rogers SSIII (Safariland 070) holsters made things like a revolver safety unnnecessary, combined with much better weapon retention training.
    ^^^^This. A lot of guys back in the 70s, before my time, carried Jordan style holsters. From what I saw and heard, It was apparently in vogue to unsnap the holster strap from behind the hammer and re-snap it around the front of the holster on traffic stops. This was done to make the weapon instantly available should the officer need it as he approached the vehicle. More fights and foot pursuits arise from car stops than do gunfights so a lot of guns clattered across concrete. Some were also taken and used against officers.

Quote Originally Posted by SWAT Lt. View Post
    ^^^^This. A lot of guys back in the 70s, before my time, carried Jordan style holsters. From what I saw and heard, It was apparently in vogue to unsnap the holster strap from behind the hammer and re-snap it around the front of the holster on traffic stops. This was done to make the weapon instantly available should the officer need it as he approached the vehicle. More fights and foot pursuits arise from car stops than do gunfights so a lot of guns clattered across concrete. Some were also taken and used against officers.
    Most of the holsters of those era's were also designed to secure (and I use that term lightly) the gun from a rear attack...which is not how police gun grabs happen. The "FBI cant" was also great for actually making a front snatch faster and easier. Many paid in blood for assumptions and training not relative to reality.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Really fascinating aspect of LE history, DB. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Many paid in blood for assumptions and training not relative to reality.
    And still are...

Quote Originally Posted by Lyonsgrid View Post
    Today I was visiting with a friend who began his LE career in the late 70's. He showed me one of his old duty 686 revolvers and it had a modification on the hammer that could be engaged, preventing it from moving. It's a little section machined that slides to the side and creates a mechanical block against the frame. He said a few guys back in the day had this mod done to prevent a crook from being able to use the weapon against the officer if obtained during a gun grab. He could not remember the company's name or many details but thought it was done sometime in 80' or 81'.
    I'd never seen anything like this before and would like to hear from you guys that have. I don't think I'd ever want a mod like this but I understand training and tactics have come a long way. Still, I thought it would make a good walk down memory lane for some so I took a few pics.

Attachment 21020

Yes, he says he regrets the laser engraving which was added years later.

Attachment 21021

Attachment 21022
    I like the laser engraving!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List