Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Substituting magnum primers?

9mm Para + 135 gr coated + HP38.
    I chronographed with every primer I could lay hands on, SP, SR, SP magnum.
    Seven out of eight were the same, within one standard deviation overlap.
    Remington 1 1/2 SP standard was a little faster than the magnums and rifles and other SP.

Magnum LP gave somewhat higher velocity in .45 ACP than standard LP but I was shooting powderpuff loads with Bullseye.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I've used 'em for years when standard primers are not available with zero issues and no difference noted. Recently I've been trying SR primers in .38 super, minor and major, again zero issues.

A fex years back, I shot a couple thousand magnum primers (only thing I had at the time) in non magnum handgun calibers, loaded to normal pressures. No issues whatsoever.

A guy here bought S&B SR for use in 9mm. Misfires are common; apparently they are harder than American SR. But he saved $3 a thousand, so now he has a longterm supply for his seldom shot AR.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

He may or may not need magnum primers, depending upon the powder he's using. The use of magnum primers is dictated by the type of powder used, ie. burn rate, not whether or not the cartridge itself is a "magnum" (which many people consider the 10mm to be in all but name. Magnum primers burn longer, not necessarily hotter and are used with slower burning powders in order to achieve a more complete burn. There's a definition of magnum primers that you didn't ask for.

I stopped using magnum primers about two decades back because I found accuracy to be better without them. As for your friend using magnum primers: he shouldn't have a problem since the difference really isn't that great. If the primer sends his load over the red line, he has other issues that need addressing.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 10-23-2017 at 05:05 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    I picked up some Winchester small pistol magnum primers in '13 because standards were not available. Used them with WST powder and .38 and 9mm. No issues.

Thanks everyone.

This may actually prove interesting. Blue Dot has always given wide standard deviations in velocity. I've theorized that a magnum primer might settle that down a little bit. Guess we'll find out.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List