Thread: Running a light recoil spring. Issues?

Running a light recoil spring. Issues?

For the purpose of this thread lets assume a G19. Which as I understand it has a 17lb OEM spring. If I swap out to a lighter spring, say a 11 or 13 pound spring, would I be inviting damage to the breach area of the pistol?
    Last edited by SC_Dave; 10-20-2017 at 07:54 AM.

Are you looking to game the gun, and at a point where tiny differences in how the slide tracks are important to your match placement? If not, leave the OEM parts alone.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Are you looking to game the gun, and at a point where tiny differences in how the slide tracks are important to your match placement? If not, leave the OEM parts alone.
    Understood. No, I'm not looking to game the gun. I don't match shoot although I have thought about trying it at some point. I'm just trying to improve my shooting for me. I though it may help me track my dot easier/better. But, I don't want to do it at the risk of damaging the pistol. My 19 isn't 100% OEM currently. I added the RMR, a White Sound HRED to help with an ejection issue, a TTI Grand Master connector kit and an Agency mag well but none of these could damage the gun as far as I know. I thought I remembered read an article about BF damage due to light recoil springs but I couldn't find it. I can articulate a legitimate reason for the addition of all of these but I may be chasing something that I don't need to with the spring IDK. I should add this is my EDC.
    David
    Last edited by SC_Dave; 10-20-2017 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    For the purpose of this thread lets assume a G19. Which as I understand it has a 17lb OEM spring. If I swap out to a lighter spring, say a 11 or 13 pound spring, would I be inviting damage to the breach area of the pistol?
    This is from memory back when I was chasing the best performance for competition. Glock's springs all work together. I think I remember someone saying that a too light recoil spring could let the gun unlock when pulling the trigger. I guess there is a danger for an out of battery discharge. I was using a G-17 and the lowest I ever went was 13#. I have since gone back to the stock 17# spring in my G-17's.

Taran Butler recommended 15 lbs for a G19 and nothing lighter.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    For EDC I wouldn't go lighter than 15, and I'd test it first. One of my 19's has a 15# flat wire spring and it works fine. The rest, 17's and 19's, are stock weight because they all go into the carry rotation. I wouldn't risk a FTRB or light primer strike just for a barely noticeable edge.

User Tag List