Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truck Guns

Truck Guns

Just 2 questions;

1. Do you have one?

2. How is it secured?

SCD

PS I put this in the rifle and carbine section but I guess I need to point out that for the purpose of this thread I'm talking about a rifle or carbine.
    Last edited by SC_Dave; 10-20-2017 at 07:34 AM.

Site Supporter
    No.

I have a concealed handgun on my person unless I am going somewhere that I cannot bring it.

I don’t want to have to worry about a car gun when my mechanic has my car.

With two kids in school, I may need to park my car on school property.

If I can get to my car, it would be a rare circumstance in which simply getting in and driving away would not be a better option than retrieving a car gun.

I do not want to put a gun in the wrong hands by having it stolen from my car, although admittedly there are times when the gun on my person must be left in my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    No.

One of the #1 places guns get stolen from are vehicles. The only time I leave a gun in my vehicle is if I am in a known secure parking lot and only if i have to for professional reasons. Otherwise the only guns in my car are either in the trunk, en route to the rage, or on my waistline in the driver's seat.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    There was a thread on this topic recently, where all responses one could likely imagine were hashed out. Search is your friend.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    There was a thread on this topic recently, where all responses one could likely imagine were hashed out. Search is your friend.
    Thanks for the reminder, never thought of that.

Site Supporter
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

No. I keep a Lock'er Down console safe in the 4Runner for those times it may be necessary to secure my carry firearm temporarily.

Otherwise, nothing but a spare mag remains in the vehicle.

I do not store a long gun in the vehicle.
    Last edited by blues; 10-20-2017 at 08:50 AM.

Site Supporter
    Gone back and forth. I have a strong aluminum professional made custom lockbox underneath the back seat of my truck. I now have two rear-facing car seats on top of the seat. It would be a 5 to 10 minute process to get in there now, so no long guns.

When traveling to classes (back before the car seats) and other trips it eased my mind to have the box. Putting a long gun in there again might happen but most of my thinking goes to any sort of issue I need to resolve is a come as you are event.

Hoping my mind and my body and a G42 with 2 spare mags will be enough.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 10-20-2017 at 11:00 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    Just 2 questions;

1. Do you have one?

2. How is it secured?

SCD

PS I put this in the rifle and carbine section but I guess I need to point out that for the purpose of this thread I'm talking about a rifle or carbine.
    Is this in a duty capacity or personal use ?

For work, a lock box bolted into the vehicle during work hours. Long Gun is not left in the vehicle overnight. I'm in a plainclothes assignment and the long gun is only deployed proactively. In a reactive situation I'm unlikely to have time to get it out of the box.

Personal - I do not keep a long gun in my POV. On the rare occasions I do I use the tool box or put it under the back seat and cable lock it or it's case to the frame.

As note in the threads linked above "Truck Guns" are generally a bad idea. Theft from vehicles is the number one source of crime guns in my area. The idea you are going to have the time or opportunity to retrieve a long gun from the car in a defensive encounter is unrealistic at best.

I have a rifle in my truck probably 75% of the time.
    It's usually my H&K MR762 in a soft sided case on the back seat.
    I can get away with doing this because when there's a rifle in my truck I'm always within 10 or 15 feet of the truck since my truck is my office most days. The farthest I'm away would still be within eyesight, like from a convenience store counter to the truck parked and locked right in front of the store.
    I'm almost always in very remote rural areas by myself and there are some days I can go several hours without seeing another person. The days when I'm well south of I-10 in west Texas and southern New Mexico the people I do see are often the kinds of people I want to avoid if at all possible and are the reason I carry a rifle.
    I also have a case of bottled water, multi-day bug out bag, satellite phone and Level IV plate carrier for when I'm headed into certain areas south of I-10.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List