Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig Sauer and the 320 debacle

Sigs QC issues over the years had me leery, and the 320 issues, specifically the way it was handled caused me to finally just write Sig off. Until Cohen is out, I won't buy a Sig, period.

I'm admittedly a Sig fanboy. My first pistol was a black stainless P226 (talk about carrying a brick!). Since then I've had a P229 DAK which I was not fond of so I sold it for a DA/SA P229. Sold that for one of the first P320Cs to come out, which I got bored with and sold for another TDA P229 I love to death.

The only issues I've had:

- takedown lever on the P320C would get insanely hot after shooting off only a mag, even at a moderate pace.
    - current P229 had an oversized barrel hood which would make the slide a bitch to rack. Sent it in and they fixed it.

Overall I've been pleased, but seeing the ever-increasing CQ issues plus the way they handled the P320 drop-safety issue has disenchanted me with them.

I'm reluctant to get rid of my P229 because I feel invested in it, but when I practice with my Glock I notice a world of difference in how quick and easy I get on target versus the Sig.

I may fondle a refitted P320 and shoot one if the LGS has one to rent for the range, but am quite unlikely to buy any new firearms from them unless they unscrew themselves post-haste.
    Last edited by HCountyGuy; 10-20-2017 at 09:23 PM.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

I was a huge Sig guy in the 90s/early 00s. Then they started their long decent into the abyss. By the late 00s I was in a lot of classes and the istructors were warning us to avoid the Sigs. So for 10-12 years I avoided them, shaking my head at people as they bought them and payed exorbitant prices for sub-par clones of old Sigs with anchors on them. Then the 320 got selected. I went out and bought one because I wanted to see what the deal was. I started shooting mine fairly heavily and it was regularly having ftes.i ditched it right about the time all this crap came out. I still have a tac ops and at some point I’ll send it in but I can’t imagine ever buying one again.

Site Supporter
    No Sigs until Cohen gone.

For me it was like finding out that your girlfriend was cheating and you get a kick to the jewels because you found out. I have been vested in all metal, hammer fired guns for a really long time and was reluctant to go to a plastic gun with a striker. Just my luck, when I did, I chose the p320 and had plans to buy multiple but when all of this arose, it did not take much coaxing for me to use the dollars I had been saving for another p320to buy a 9mm 1911. I am waiting to send mine in for the upgrade/recall and still undecided if I will keep it or not.

FYI... I got my P320 back from Sig yesterday.

I started a new thread.
    Last edited by Auriemma; 10-21-2017 at 11:10 AM.
    --- Joe ---
    Sig Sauer P320RX, P229R E2, P365XL, SP2022 || Springfield 1911 Range Officer Compact Elite
    Henry Golden Boy || Ruger 10/22 Custom || CZ455V || Tippmann M4-22 Elite || HP 995TS

I love the Classic P-Series guns and still have found them to be solid pistols today and love some of the improvements that we've seen for them. Down the line most won't even remember or care about the recall. For all the teeth gnashing and fist clenching that is directed torwards Sig they are flying by competitor after competitor after being almost bankrupt before Cohen. Sig is more relevant now than they have ever been. Quality isn't the same but I would argue the industry as a whole offers cheapnened guns but the reality is the current crop of handguns started out cheap from the ground up so their is no rose tinted glasses about the good old days of the PPQ or VP9 from 30 years ago to compare. 1911's, Smith and Wesson revolvers, Sig P-Series guns, etc all get blasted because they "aren't made like they used to be". It's hard to cheapen a Glock more than it was in 1985. Sig had a lot higher perch to fall from.

"It is just astonishing how this gun could get the military contract...."
    Big Army was involved, so you should not be astonished....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I have carried Sigs for work for the last 20 years, I have owned a handful and carried almost every version of the classic series at some point. I guess I look at it from a different perspective because I have less choice in what I carry, and I am going to focus almost all of my training time with what I carry at work. I have had my issues with Sigs over the years, I hate their current trend towards 50 different stylized versions of every gun, but I have always had absolute confidence in whatever gun was on my hip.

I am not interested in gun industry or internet drama. I am happy with Sig and look forward to getting my P320 back in my hands. That said if my agency switched to Glock, S&W, HK, whatever, I would learn the system and be just as happy with that. I like guns, but to me they are tools to master and nothing more.
    Last edited by DNW; 10-21-2017 at 12:48 PM.

SIG is by far my all time favorite pistol for service and concealed carry. The moment I wrapped my hands around the P320 Compact 9mm I really liked it and it was to be my first striker-fired handgun. Never the slightest hiccup, ate all sorts of ammo, and felt good carrying when I wanted to have a double stack 9mm with me. But...

1) I was informed by the salesman, himself carrying a P320 Compact 9mm, and SIG's own advertising that soon I would be able to convert my 9mm to .45 ACP with the not-yet-released caliber x-change kit; and
    2) the overall handling of the P320's drop-safe failure that was actually leaked by an internet forum whose participants included two Dallas PD cops that let us know.

So, as we P320 owners learned with much disappointment, the P320 in .45ACP is unable to modulate between 9mm and its smaller caliber cousins. The P250 was able to modulate between all advertised calibers, including .45 ACP. But not the P320. How could SIG not have known about this? Starting to turn me off in terms of their business practices.

Then in January 2017 a police officer carrying his departmental issued P320 drops his pistol and gets shot in the leg. The dept pulls all P320s off the line. SIG is quiet. Finally, in Aug 2017 word gets out about this drop-safe failure resulting in an officer shot and the internet wildfire begins. SIG is quiet. Then, in mid Aug 2017, SIG announces its voluntary upgrade program free of charge. This upgrade eliminates the drop-safe failure. The officer who was shot has, by the way, filed a federal lawsuit filed in Aug 2017 after months of failed negotiations with SIG. Did SIG really think they could keep a lid on this thing? The upgrade clearly is an effort to remedy a design flaw since SIG assured all - civilians and police alike - that this gun will not fire unless the trigger is pulled. Untrue.

In a word, I won't say never, but I can say that it will be a long time before I purchase another SIG. Good thing I'm very happy with the ones I already own and carry.

User Tag List