Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig Sauer and the 320 debacle

Site Supporter
    I wrote the proposal for my agency to transition from Ruger Service-Sixes to the 9mm 226. Over the years I also wrote the proposal for .40 pistols, allowing lights on our rail-frame pistols, and to provide 239's to those with small hands I own my original issue 226, my last issue .40 226R, a 229, a 228, and a 239. I was aware of quality control issues cropping up, but maintained faith in SigSauer even when a third of our pistols developed cracked frames. I believed they had gotten their QC issues under control.I had great hopes for the 320 I purchased, thinking that would be my off-duty and eventual retirement gun.

That said, I think I'll be packing a Glock or M&P if I'm not carrying my current issue pistol.

Attended a 320 Armorer class Saturday. Our instructor talked a little about the 320, drop tests and the difference in the military and commercial guns.

According to the instructor, the 320 was originally built to pass SAAMI drop tests. Later, to meet a more rigorous military drop test, the gun was changed to include a more conventional trigger bar disconnector. This is what's being added now under the upgrade.

As an aside, the class still focused on the "old" 320 and we got no hands on with the upgraded parts. The instructor said he hasn't even had his personal 320s upgraded yet.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I don't have a choice in the matter. My employer selected the classic series in the very late 80's, we have been a classic Sig shop ever since. I've carried a P220 since 1997. We have endured the drops in quality and just had to suck it up.

The P320 became an approved weapon in July. It is the only striker fired gun I can carry. I've found out that I shoot mine really, really well. I'm waiting for an upcoming class and then will send mine in for the upgrade. It will be my off-duty gun and if I like the 45 offering, probably my duty gun.

FWIW, I have more faith in the P320 that was designed from the ground up to be cheaper to manufacture than the classic Sigs that had to be redesigned to reduce the cost of manufacture by randomly swapping in cheaper parts and waiting to see what failed.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Pistols have been shipping back after the "upgrade" now for a couple weeks. What's the consensus? And no new drop test videos?

I got one back and another just went this week.

I'm not a Sig fan boy but I will tell you I find I can shoot the "new" tigger much better. I really like it. I think the voluntary upgrade is a huge improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Pistols have been shipping back after the "upgrade" now for a couple weeks. What's the consensus? And no new drop test videos?

Quote Originally Posted by awmp View Post
    I got one back and another just went this week.

I'm not a Sig fan boy but I will tell you I find I can shoot the "new" tigger much better. I really like it. I think the voluntary upgrade is a huge improvement.
    And the safety concerns? Corrected?

I just received my full-size P320 .45 ACP back today. I have been comparing the trigger function to my unmodified compact P320 9 mm. I have only dry-fired the modified P320 as yet. I never noticed any significant difference in trigger function between these two pistols before the modification. Total turn-around time door to door was about three and a half weeks for me. Others have gotten their guns back much sooner.

The trigger reach for the new trigger seems to be the same as for the old one. Both of my P320s had the second generation "adverse" trigger. Although the front contour and trigger reach seem the same, the new trigger looks to be slightly narrower side to side. This actually results in a more comfortable contour for my trigger finger. One concern I have about the new trigger is that it is hollowed out on the back side all the way to the tip, similar to the first generation P320 trigger which caused some people to experience trigger sting. I never had any issues with the P320 triggers (unlike the HK VP9 trigger). Time and live fire well tell.

The take up for the modified trigger and fire control seems slightly shorter. It is definitely smoother. The break feels about the same although I think the pull weight for the modified trigger is a little less. It is certainly not greater. Unfortunately, I don't have a gauge. I really don't appreciate any over-travel for either trigger. I'm sure there is some but I can't appreciate it. The double click phenomenon is gone with the new trigger.

Slide reassembly on the FCU is different for the modified pistol. I can't get the slide back on if the trigger is reset and the disconnector is sticking up. I find I have to push the disconnector down and hold the trigger forward when sliding the upper back on the frame. Not difficult to do, but a little fiddly.

I have read many accounts from those who have gotten their modified pistols back. Most have been positive with owners who felt the trigger was either better or unchanged. There have been a couple of people who had scratches on their slides. One had a crack in the Romeo optic on his RX, which SIG is replacing.

SIG did drop tests on the modified pistol at the "negative thirty" degree angle that produced the well-documented drop-fires. They posted video of this, I believe on youtube, and interested parties can probably find it without much difficulty. No, I am not going to drop test my pistols/

I had been holding off on sending in my other P320 until I got the first back and was able to assess the results. So far, my impression is favorable. I still need to test it in live fire. If the results are satisfactory, I will be sending the other pistol in.

Well there's a lot of Glock fan boys and drama queens in this thread.

The P320 passed all the tests every gun goes through plus the Army tests and passed with flying colors.

It was found to have a problem Sig addressed it...is in the process of upgrading the P320 and it isn't

costing anyone a penny. and it's doing it quickly. enough said....At least Sig is getting the job done

unlike Glock that has thousands of people shot with Glock leg that's been going on for decades and

Glock pretends it doesn't exist.

This is like the 3rd guy in the past week.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimjc View Post
    Well there's a lot of Glock fan boys and drama queens in this thread.

The P320 passed all the tests every gun goes through plus the Army tests and passed with flying colors.

It was found to have a problem Sig addressed it...is in the process of upgrading the P320 and it isn't

costing anyone a penny. and it's doing it quickly. enough said....At least Sig is getting the job done

unlike Glock that has thousands of people shot with Glock leg that's been going on for decades and

Last edited by HopetonBrown; 11-14-2017 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimjc View Post

Yep, Sig making this a “voluntary upgrade” instead of a recall and claiming the pistol is totally safe as is, is definitely not the same as people shooting themselves in the leg by improperly holstering their pistols.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Tag List