Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: To "safety" or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
    I see that well trained shooters seem to think alike This is contrary to some of the "interesting' comments on the youtube channel. Any helpful comments on there would greatly be appreciated!
    I’d love to help, but it’s all I can do to read some of the comments here.....
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

I was taught by multiple active duty instructors that trained usasoc (not trying to be annoying, they don't post/want their names online with the exception of Kyle Lamb, as they are active duty), and every single one of them taught safety on until on target, then back on when coming off target, for rifle/carbine.

I trust their judgement more than YouTube or the DeltaRangerSEAL at Cabelas.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 10-21-2017 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Not LES, but I would go with a yes. I would liken it to dropping a gun. DQ in my book.
    It would be to subjective, what constitutes moving or not shooting? When I dabbled in 3 gun I did use the safety for longer movements but trying to enforce it evenly and fairly on everyone during a smaller pistol style stage would be impossible.
    Last edited by Leroy; 10-21-2017 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    In courses I always safety (and decock my TDA guns) when moving or not firing.

In competition I only decock my Beretta when I’m told to unload and show clear.
    Personally, I want to do it right every time, so I always safe/decock any gun I'm holding before moving.

I never win, but the "extra" manipulation or multiple DA shots during the course of fire aren't the thing holding me back.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

To "safety" or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    It would be to subjective, what constitutes moving or not shooting? When I dabbled in 3 gun I did use the safety for longer movements but trying to enforce it evenly and fairly on everyone during a smaller pistol style stage would be impossible.
    I get what your saying but it’s pretty simple. Movement is not subjective. Your feet shift place, you take so much as a step, skip, hop or whatever that is movement. There is a significant difference between shooting while stationary and shooting on the move or shooting while moving into and out of position. This all has to do with the fact that a threat or target is present/visible and it is feasible/necessary to engage based on proximity or other factors. These are pretty simple and can be laid out just as they have for me when I was taught.

Despite our own biases I think at the end we can take all of this away. Just look at the core aspect of safety. Safety for yourself, and more importantly for others. It makes no difference whether it is on a stage at competition, in the field, or in another country playing for keeps. If you haven’t made the conscious decision to fire and sights are on target the safety is on period, if you do anything else other than that you are inviting Murphy over for a banquet.

This isn’t to take away from what you are saying. I can see how it could be very difficult to regulate in a game and it would be subject to lots of argumentation but the argument is worth having in my opinion. I’d rather piss everyone off a risk being thought of as a “D” bag to make others and myself more safe and competent. Frankly I just don’t see how difficulties regulating something like that changes the facts and I’ve never been one to let the difficulty of a task be the deciding factor as to whether or not I attempt to do something. I don’t see why I should let others use it as an excuse either.
    Last edited by Mike C; 10-21-2017 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    Personally, I want to do it right every time, so I always safe/decock any gun I'm holding before moving.

I never win, but the "extra" manipulation or multiple DA shots during the course of fire aren't the thing holding me back.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    This is a little off topic for a rifle thread, but I started it with my original post, so I apologize the OP and mods.

I’ve shot an IPSC match with a Beretta 92D. If I recall correctly, the speed difference was enough to drop me down a classification from where I normally placed at that match. DAO split speeds coupled with a 6lb DA trigger vs. a 3lb SA trigger make a difference when you are trying to make master class. I assume that gap would widen further having to decock manually on every movement.

It was a worthwhile experience for me as I learned that the DAO trigger length gave me options that an SA trigger does not, but it also taught me that if you want to do your best at competitions they are best played with competition gear and in the method that gets you the highest hit factor.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Do you think there should be? I tend to gravitate towards yes.
    In the game? I dunno. Good luck enforcing it...

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Enforcing it would be easy.
    The next match would be even easier because you'd have 90% fewer shooters attending.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Enforcing it would be easy.
    The next match would be even easier because you'd have 90% fewer shooters attending.
    Good to see you back Jody. Ya, maybe it is my background but I would DQ people.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    We let people run all over a stage with loaded pistols and no safeties, and pistols are shorter and (relative to carbines) harder to keep the muzzle direction controlled.

I don’t disagree at all the safetying the carbine when not on target is best practice, but asking uspsa pcc folks to do it is mitigating a lesser risk among a smaller population compared the dramatically larger set of folks not doing it in a higher risk situation.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List