Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To "safety" or not?

Site Supporter

To "safety" or not?

I always teach students to "safety" during movement. Something that was taught to me early in Special Forces. As I started getting more into competition, my desire to engage the safety became less desirable so that I could become faster. Later, I discovered that it didn't add more time. Here's an example:

Any thoughts or feedback on engaging the safety?

I was taught when i got to my Unit that unless you were actively firing, your safety was on. Movement, safety on. Just shot a guy and holding on him to determine if down for good, safety on. Only when the decision has been made to shoot did I swipe the safety off, which is pretty quick to do with AR pattern rifles.

What does Pac say? Always an enabler, never a disabler.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 10-19-2017 at 09:39 PM.

I’ve never seen or heard of a good reason not to have it engaged when not actively shooting.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

We practiced going from safe to semi back to safe so many times that ten years later, it's still so ingrained in my movement I can't imagine not staying on except when firing. I'm not sure my muscle memory would allow me to break the habit.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I was taught when i got to my Unit that unless you were actively firing, your safety was on. Movement, safety on. Just shot a guy and holding on him to determine if down for good, safety on. Only when the decision has been made to shoot did I swipe the safety off, which is pretty quick to do with AR pattern rifles.

What does Pac say? Always an enabler, never a disabler.
    The same was ingrained into me in the mid 90’s by a man named Smith, then reinforced by my neighbor Paul starting late 2004.
    Last edited by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor; 10-19-2017 at 10:53 PM.

We had an officer a shoot a dog with a rifle at a dope house when a thug inside decided to release the hounds. He never put the rifle on safe, about 45 minutes later the officers slung rifle's trigger and duty belt interfaced, and fired a round into the ground. There was a lack of training time and enforcement of safe practice issues that contributed to that.

If it's not a subconscious habit to always the put the rifle on safe, at some point it's not going to happen when it really needs to happen in a stressful situation. Always putting the rifle on safe helps prevent those situations where we snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
    Last edited by txdpd; 10-20-2017 at 09:26 AM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Site Supporter
    This is notable at the local PCC match. When I run the course with a 9mm AR or a MPX it is obvious that I am on safe or off safe as I run the course. The shooters without MIL experience (and less rifle/carbine experience) tend to take the safety off once and then leave it off until course of fire ends and they go through the clear process.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    This is notable at the local PCC match. When I run the course with a 9mm AR or a MPX it is obvious that I am on safe or off safe as I run the course. The shooters without MIL experience (and less rifle/carbine experience) tend to take the safety off once and then leave it off until course of fire ends and they go through the clear process.
    There is no penalty for leaving it off...

Most people don't practice enough to re-safe while moving, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post

All the more reason they should. Seen many a booger hook end up in the trigger well when people fall ass over tea kettle.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post

Do you think there should be? I tend to gravitate towards yes.

User Tag List