Thread: Force Science research about unintentional discharges

Force Science research about unintentional discharges

If you haven't already, you might want to check out Force Science News #348.

A Force Science research team has completed an update of its ongoing analysis of unintentional firearms discharges by LEOs in the US and Canada. We reported on the initial phase of the team’s work in Force Science News #317 [8/10/16], when the researchers had studied 137 UD occurrences. Now 171 additional instances have been analyzed, offering a broadening picture of the causes, circumstances, and consequences of “an unplanned activation of the trigger that is outside a handgun’s or long gun’s prescribed use;” i.e., an unintentional discharge.

<October 17, 2017
    Force Science News>
    You can subscribe at www.forcescience.org

Thanks for the link. It looks like there's no subscription necessary. Following your link I was able to click through to a 36 page, pdf. I've downloaded it and will read it with interest.

Site Supporter
    Their summary seems to indicate they felt that startle response and sympathetic grip response were new discoveries. Dr. Roger Enoka, PhD, Univ. of Colorado, only published his seminal work on that back in 1985. Hope they get things figured out, because that summary is kindergarten simple and had nothing new or surprising in it. They didn't even mention loss of balance or as Dr. Enoka termed it, "postural disturbance", as one of the factors. I nearly got killed by an ND from that circumstance and the shot that just barely missed me critically wounded a Dallas PD officer on my right.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 10-20-2017 at 04:00 PM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Their summary seems to indicate they felt that startle response and sympathetic grip response were new discoveries. Dr. Roger Enoka, PhD, Univ. of Colorado, only published his seminal work on that back in 1985. Hope they get things figured out, because that summary is kindergarten simple and had nothing new or surprising in it. They didn't even mention loss of balance or as Dr. Enoka termed it, "postural disturbance", as one of the factors. I nearly got killed by an ND from that circumstance and the shot that just barely missed me critically wounded a Dallas PD officer on my right.
    It was still witchcraft to discuss this stuff back then. While many today find it amusing to discount Gunsite, the reality is that the principles founded in the Modern Technique and then hammered out into how to practically employee them and adopt them in the field by the pioneers of those early years were finding out things that have taken several decades for science to be able to catch up with using today's technology to document. Next thing you know we are going to find out that small, shoulder fired pistol caliber carbines work really good for surgical application of lethal force in small confines of typical indoor shooting distances, and shotguns are really efficient at dropping felons in hose same types of encounters. It is really a brave "new" world.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

"Thirty-four of the officers removed their firearm from its holster and 20% of those officers placed their index finger on the trigger for longer than 1s during the scenario. None of the officers reported being aware of any contact with the trigger."

Interesting. This is a similar result to the German LE study on the same subject; IIRC they also showed 20% of officers placing their fingers on the trigger who later didn't remember doing so.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    "Thirty-four of the officers removed their firearm from its holster and 20% of those officers placed their index finger on the trigger for longer than 1s during the scenario. None of the officers reported being aware of any contact with the trigger."

Interesting. This is a similar result to the German LE study on the same subject; IIRC they also showed 20% of officers placing their fingers on the trigger who later didn't remember doing so.
    Very true. By the way, I have both the Enoka paper and the German project paper if anybody wants them. They're eye opening. PM me with an email address if you want copies.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    Not really a breakthrough - this 2007 book reviewed most of what we've heard.

Human Factors Issues in Handgun Safety and Forensics 1st Edition, Kindle Edition
    by Hal W. Hendrick (Author), Paul Paradis (Author), Richard J. Hornick (Author)

Amazon has used ones for about $40.00

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Yup, the info has been out there for several years. First time I recall hearing it was in the long version of the safety lecture by Bill Jeans' back in '94/'95. Hitting the Why far more than the What he addressed loss of balance, inter-limb, & startle waayyy back then.

Site Supporter
    My toes still remember a 45 ACP a few inches from them as a shooter supposedly holstered a 1911 with safety on (yeah).

User Tag List