Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bravo Company AR for Home defense ?

Bravo Company AR for Home defense ?

Budget $1300 or maybe a little higher.

Not looking to play mall ninja games .. Just a solid AR for range and home use.

Thanks for any help !!

I like the BCM 14.5” lightweight upper.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Really hard to beat a Colt Trooper. At $700 they were grossly underpriced and even at 800 and change they are a lot of AR for the money.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

BCM ARs are great rifles but as @GJM said the Colt Trooper is a seriously good deal too. Is that $1300 budget for the rifle + accessories or just the rifle? Check out the Colt Combat Unit AR as well. It's Colt's 16" midlength gas AR. Around $1200.
    Shoot more, post less...

I have two BCMs and love them.

With that said, if it's just going to sit in a safe for "HD" and get shot twice a year or so you'd be crazy not to get the Colt Trooper unless you are jonesing for a pencil profile barrel or middy just because you want one.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

BCM makes a great rifle. Yes, you can get a similarly equipped rifle from Colt for less. In the off chance that either gun gives you problems, I trust BCM customer service far more than Colt.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Bravo Company AR for Home defense ?

BCM makes fantastic everything. I put all of their stuff on every AR I have (most are BCM). The only "enhanced" products I like better than BCM are the Geissele Airborne Charging Handles and flat faced triggers, but you're paying significantly more for those items. My wife's BCM (14.5 enhanced lightweight, fluted) is stupid light and makes me wonder why I've paid more for two Noveskes and have considered a few KACs. But, a Colt Trooper is also a lot of gun for the money. If you're not stretched for cash and can swing the price for the gun and still get quality accessories, the BCM won't disappoint. If the $1300 needs to include optic, light, and sling, then get the Trooper.

FWIW, they just released their MLOK and quad rail handguards so you have a lot of great options. If it were me right now and I was building my one and only primary HD AR, it'd probably be this one https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...lw-mcmr-13.htm

Lame photos but this is my wife's gun. It serves as primary HD and I tried to keep the weight down while still going with my preferred accessories/options. I'm pretty sure the only things on this gun that are still original mil-spec are the ejection port cover and the bolt release, though the latter will be changed soon. The only things that I'd change (besides making it an 11.5" gun) would be a BFH instead of standard barrel and the new MCMR MLOK rail, but both of those are really pretty minor for my needs.

Last edited by Wake27; 10-19-2017 at 10:15 PM.

Hammertime
    I love my BCM uppers. I am not a high volume shooter, but in the few thousand rounds I have through them, I have not had a single malfunction.

For a complete BCM I would recommend this one:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...on&key=780-790

It is out of your price range. Alternately, you can't go wrong with a Colt Trooper for $7-800 and that leaves you cash for sling, light, sights and optic.

I have been tracking threads relating to AR malfunctions and the resolutions thereof. There have been quite a few that the source of the malfunction has been traced to a failing extractor spring and a few of those were BCM. If you get a BCM, install a new Colt extractor spring and save yourself from a potential problem. With my personal ARs and trouble shooting ARs for friends and acquaintances, most non-Colt extractor springs tend to fail in a thousand rounds or less.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Yes, BCM good. Go buy in confidence.,
    #RESIST

User Tag List