Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New P99 Compact AS, $339

New P99 Compact AS, $339

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Why do I have to be so cash poor when we are in this target rich sales environment? That is an amazing price on that pistol, wow!

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Have you ever compared your performance with a P99AS in TDA mode versus the 4" PPQ?

Site Supporter
    Geez. They were offering these for $399 a few weeks ago (on GB). I came real close to getting one. Then the 1076 happened. I can't believe the price is even less. Very tempting.

I shot a P99c once. It's an excellent gun. Grouped super tight. Very underrated.

Thanks for the heads up.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 10-19-2017 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by White Crane View Post
    Why do I have to be so cash poor when we are in this target rich sales environment? That is an amazing price on that pistol, wow!
    Me too. Admittedly it was 7 years ago, but I paid nearly $300 more than that for mine, and thought I was getting a decent deal at the time. Last summer when I bought a full size, I thought I stole it because I paid $420 including FFL fee. $339 is just insanely low. If anybody has some spare cash lying around, those might make a decent investment. Seems like it'd be hard to lose money reselling them down the line, especially given the sine wave nature of P99/P99c market availability. Seems like once or twice/year, Walther produces and ships a run of them, the market gets flooded, and prices drop. Some number of months later, you can't find any for sale anywhere, that situation lasts a few months, and then we rinse and repeat. Don't buy the .40 version as an investment, though; they seem to be generally less desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Have you ever compared your performance with a P99AS in TDA mode versus the 4" PPQ?

I haven’t shot a P99 enough to have enough data to be sure, but I prefer the texture of the PPQ, the M2 mag release, and the position of the PPQ trigger when it breaks. I like being able to release the striker on the P99 and the availability of a Compact size and non neutered ten round mags for certain places. Seemed like my Bill drills were .20 slower with the P99.

I've been carrying the Walther P99 for about two years now. I've owned a Gen 1 P99 chambered in .40 since the late 90's when Smith was the importer.

Before I carried the Gen 2 P99 in 9mm, it was a Gen 4 G17. The trigger difference, to me, is night and day.

If you've ever shot a Glock before, [and who hasn't] we all know the triggers, and how they feel. The 99 allows you to carry decocked, in TDA, much like a revolver's TDA. Once you break that shot, the trigger stays to the rear, and breaks very clean, very crisp, with only about an 1/8" travel forward for reset. The pistol also allows you to carry it in the 'AS' mode, or anti stress mode.
    The theory that Walther states about the AS mode is that helps eliminate ND's, by allowing the trigger to set in AS mode, and then there is a long travel rearward, to a point before break, then the break. I really don't know how describe it more than that, and you do have to experience it to get it.
    The ability to carry in TDA , for me, is akin to your gadgets;
    meaning that as long as the path to the holster is obstruction free, I know that the trigger will stay forward and 'safe'.
    I've only shot the PPQ once, and while it was a better trigger than a stock Glock, it was very 'Glock-ish".
    I can compare the P99 the a PPS M1, as I also carry that, and the PPS is also Glock-like...paddle trigger safety.

The reasons I went to the 99 were:
    *More lefty friendly, with the paddle mag release.
    *I liked the idea of being able to carry appendix decocked.
    *It 'fit' me better than the 17, and the 17 fit better than a 19. I only wish that Walther made a true 19 sized P99.

Hope that adds info about the 99.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by CSW; 10-20-2017 at 07:05 AM.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Hammertime
    They are $364 shipped plus whatever your transfer fee is.

I find the P99 appealing as a carry gun since I can entirely de energize the ignition system. I really like paddles, and they are well vetted from a reliability and durability perspective.

I also tend to shoot the PPQ consistently at the higher end of my performance envelope. I just don’t know if I shoot the P99 the same. Perhaps it is time to find out.

Not unlike choosing an LEM trigger, there are sometimes trade offs between speed and safety, and you have to decide what is important to you at that time for that purpose.

Thanks for this public service announcement. Mine arrived today. It has a 2016 date code, so, new-ish production, all things considered. I couldn't be happier with the transaction.

User Tag List