Page 93 of 305 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 picture thread

My best friend's PCS. Rebuilt by Mike LaRocca and verified to be one of the first 100 made:

His 1911's make mine look amateurish.

And I think there's this huge misconception that I have this huge 1911 collection. I've actually divested myself of alot of them over the past couple years for not insignificant money. I started moving them a bit before I had my vision issues one year ago. Since then, I haven't really been able to shoot, and I've spent what little gun budget I have on my 4 year old. I have the requisite couple of glocks and a nice AR, so 1911's are Passion-of-the-Gun guns. But I'd spend every last dime on making memories with him and the wife over any of this stuff.

That being said, I do have two colt on gunbroker.....

So if I wanted to do a heirloom gun for my boy, who would is end it to? Thinking series 80 Colt (plan on carrying it to give it meaning) and feel more comfortable with the series 80 for appendix. This is a few years down the road because I'm experimenting with glock for the foreseeable future so I have time to save. Thanks all.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    So if I wanted to do a heirloom gun for my boy, who would is end it to? Thinking series 80 Colt (plan on carrying it to give it meaning) and feel more comfortable with the series 80 for appendix. This is a few years down the road because I'm experimenting with glock for the foreseeable future so I have time to save. Thanks all.
    If it was my gun and I wanted a classic-style build I would probably send it to one of the following:

Heirloom Precision (Jason Burton)
    John Harrison
    Evolution Armory

Evolution Armory is still making a name for themselves so may be more affordable but they do nice work.

The Colt Custom Shop does great work but they take a long time and are not currently taking new orders.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    My best friend's PCS. Rebuilt by Mike LaRocca and verified to be one of the first 100 made:
    Man there is just something about those guns that really appeals to me. Deep blue over hard chrome is a great look for a classic 1911. Thanks for posting!
    Last edited by Robinson; 07-21-2017 at 01:17 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Hers.

One half of the His/Hers full house custom builds from Chris James at Combat Precision Technologies. Inching ever closer to completion of the matching pair, differing only in caliber.

Can't wait to get these two into the stable.
    Looking great Mr. Smith.

Chris James is really building his brand and his own style. I like that rear sight too.

breakingtime, if you're planning on some of these makers, get on their list now. they MIGHT call you in three years. Also, It's good to have the base gun already in hand. SOme of them want the gun now, even though they won't touch it for awhile. and some might surprise you with a call, and say, "I'm ready, where's your pistol?"

Robinson's list is good. Selecting your smith takes work and research, but most of the big names will do you right.

ETA: Evolution is doing stellar work right now.

This could lead to arguments :-), but for what you seem to be asking for, you're talking about a gunsmith where "if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it". Ok, I'm exagerrating but it can feel that way when you see the final price.

Jim Garthwaite

Jason Burton at the appropriately named Heirloom Precision

John Harrison

Chuck Rogers if you may want something that doesn't necessarily follow the classic lines but is just as wonderful

Stan Chen

Ned Christiensen for something that won't be like any other 1911 out there. Somewhere on this site I posted photos of a railed 1911 I have, that he created essentially.

Check their gallery page to see what their style is like since none of them interpret the work (at least esthetically) the same way.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    breakingtime, if you're planning on some of these makers, get on their list now. they MIGHT call you in three years. Also, It's good to have the base gun already in hand. SOme of them want the gun now, even though they won't touch it for awhile. and some might surprise you with a call, and say, "I'm ready, where's your pistol?"

Robinson's list is good. Selecting your smith takes work and research, but most of the big names will do you right.

ETA: Evolution is doing stellar work right now.
    I may pm you later if that is alright. I have some things I inherited to list for sale and a p2000sk to sell before I can even start to look into a smith. Kind of exciting just to think of it though.

My 1911 Smith's:

Vickers
    Yam
    Morrison
    James
    Burton
    Chen

I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two, and some of the list have done several guns for me, like MARS and CPT (5/4 respectively).

If you're looking for custom, do what you gotta do to make it happen. Current price on the his/hers is in excess of $7k each. Inflation is real. Also why I pay for all work up front.........
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Man I'd love to see that collection. Wow.

Who is CPT by the way?

Combat Precision I'm guessing
    Last edited by newyork; 07-22-2017 at 07:43 AM.

User Tag List