Page 75 of 308 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125175 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 picture thread

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    @theJanitor I blame you for the damage that's about to be done to my bank account.
    does this help?

That is not what help looks like.

Here's what I've got specified so far:

• Kart hard fit
    • Harrison-style retro rear sight
    • Serrated ramp front with no-outline tritium
    • Narrow extended thumb safety
    • Short aluminum trigger
    • 4# trigger pull
    • Dehorn
    • Beavertail, fairly custom
    • High cut frontstrap
    • Hand matte frontstrap and mainspring housing
    • Cerakote
    • VZ thin 320s
    • Magwell (that's what it looks like when I knuckle under to peer pressure)
    • Small parts replacement and reliability refinement

1966 9mm Commander. This is my favorite pistol in my collection

1911 picture thread

Very like, Doc. I have a '68 .45 I customized, and while i like what it is I miss what it was.
    Last edited by JAD; 05-02-2017 at 06:20 AM.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    does this help?

This is really nice. Can you tell us the specs on this?

How did you decide to use Jim vs. so many other pistolsmiths?
    Last edited by DamonL; 05-02-2017 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    This is really nice. Can you tell us the specs on this?

How did you decide to use Jim vs. so many other pistolsmiths?
    I went with Jim this time around for a few reasons. First, I've always appreciated his work. He's an old-timer, having opened shop in the late 70's. And he's always been a one-man shop. I favor the work of single-man operations, mostly because their personality really tends to show up in the finished product. The shops with a master smith and some shop hands tend to lose that individuality over time. Jim's pistols have style, and when you see one or handle one, it's obvious that the work is his. He doesn't sign guns anymore, but he doesn't have to.

Secondly, Jim's an old timer. I've owned his work in the past, but they were second-hand purchases. Before he got too old, I wanted to commission a full house build while he was still turning out stellar work. I'm reminded of Jim Hoag, whose work I have cherished for a long time. The work he was doing in the final years were just not up to par with the work of his younger years. So last year, I sold a special Wilson Combat Colt, specifically to fund this project.

With the proceeds of that sale I bought a NIB Colt S70 reissue, from a west coast dealer. I could have saved a few dollars finding a used gun, but I wanted all the things that come with a new gun (receipt, box, manuals, etc). I figured that if, God willing, my son could appreciate my guns when he's older, he could have a Custom with ALL the papers and docs.

Got the gun in, shot a box of ammo through it, and mailed it off to Garthwaite. When Jim got the gun he emailed me a pic. This was worrisome, because Jim NEVER sends pics. My worries were not unfounded as he sent me this:

He explained that he's seen this pop up fairly recently with new colts. He believes that the grips are not sealed properly and are retaining moisture. He pulled the grip bushings and sanded the frame flat. Some light pitting remains, but they're under the grips, so I'm indifferent to it.

When we discussed the specs for the gun, I was adamant of only a few things. I wanted to use an original Kings thumb safety. I have a few stashed away, and since they've been discontinued for quite awhile, I thought it would be a special, yet low-key piece of the spec. Then I wanted to use a Vickers FCG. I had one stashed away as well. Beveled commander hammers are my favorite and LAV's set was perfect. Jim was willing to use both, and said that he would contour and profile the thumb safety to amtch the rest of the gun. The last thing, was that I didn't want to go overboard on options. I think too many times, people check off all the options they can on a build sheet. In the end, it's like wearing all your favorite clothes at the same time. Only Elton John does that.

I spec'd the following items, then let Jim decide on how to execute each option:

Heinie Slant pro rear, machined for one hand clearance
    Custom silver brazed front sight, plain
    Lower and flair ejection port
    Fit the frame and slide
    Kart barrel, precision fit
    EGW bushing
    Wolff springs
    Serrate rear of slide to match heinie sights
    Trigger job using LAV parts
    Checker front strap with high grip cut
    Machine and draw file Colt MSH flat into frame and checker
    Wilson beavertail
    Fit thumb safety
    Bevel magwell
    Wilson Mag catch
    Deburr/radius/soften all edsges
    Reblue with hand polished flats
    Test fire

I think Jim did an outstanding job. And I was pleased with all the little aesthetic decisions that he took, knowing that I wanted a gun reflected his style. and the best part? He came in exactly on budget, and got the job done in a couple months, door to door. Bravo, Jim.

@JAD, love the spec, but please don't paint that beauty

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    [MENTION=11582]
    @theJanitor I blame you for the damage that's about to be done to my bank account.
    Yeah, he's got a knack for helping other people spend copious amounts of 1911 money. It's a gift.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    @JAD, love the spec, but please don't paint that beauty
    Agreed.
    Last edited by StraitR; 05-02-2017 at 05:17 PM.

@theJanitor

I really appreciate the detailed response, because I have heard good things about Jim from others.

Janitor, that is quite beautiful. While dovetail front sight cuts make a lot of sense anymore, I like the aesthetic of a swaged, or silver soldered front sight. It's a classic look.

I'm trying not to covet, but it isn't going well.

User Tag List