Page 31 of 308 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 picture thread

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    This is why I hate letting other people work on my guns.

Just returned after 6 months or so...

So leaving aside the fact that I feel obligated to run the grips my wife picked out...

Pretty sure I didn't spec a 20 thou gap under the rear sight.

How would you react to that? I'm currently remaining calm but will probably review the work negatively and send the guy a link.

I mean it was a beater 1911 to begin with but IMO that's poor workmanship.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    This is why I hate letting other people work on my guns.

Just returned after 6 months or so...

So leaving aside the fact that I feel obligated to run the grips my wife picked out...

Pretty sure I didn't spec a 20 thou gap under the rear sight.

How would you react to that? I'm currently remaining calm but will probably review the work negatively and send the guy a link.

I mean it was a beater 1911 to begin with but IMO that's poor workmanship.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk
    Depends. If you never plan to use him again? I'd see what he could do to fix it. If the person makes it right, that's pretty good... for a gunsmith. If not, just post that picture and put the name out there for everyone to see. Speaks for itself.

That is unacceptable for a professional gunsmith.

If they are not a pro 'smith.......well, roll the dice, sometimes you crap out.

First COA would be phone call direct to said "person" who did the work, FTF even better if that is an option. Assuming they are a professional gunsmith. I'd simply tell them I would like the work I paid for to be correct, IAW industry standards and norms. Since this clearly is not, I would further ask that it be placed back in the que, in front of all other work, and fixed immediately. If, as happens in most gunsmith shops, there is a comms blackout, or difficulty reaching them via voice, then I would send an email.

If no response after a week or ten days, I'd send another. This one paraphrasing the details of the first, and adding the "or else" factor of failing to respond interpreted as termination of cordial relations and understanding that all info, pics, and circumstances surrounding this failure will be widely disseminated via forums, social media, and other venues where it will be readily available to the public & shooting community so that no other shooters suffer the same treatment as a paying customer.

Gunsmith's, even the "Big Names", are not generally rich. They charge a lot. But they do not make nearly as much as one would think based on the price tag. Many very talented gunsmith's (especially in the 1911 world) have tried and failed to make their own shop pay the rent, and keep the lights on. If the butcher who did this is a "gunsmith", and relies on that as his sole source of income, that may be all the leverage needed to resolve the situation. If not, then with proper information dissemination, he will likely have "Former Gunsmith" on his resume.

Not my pic, nor my gun, but it's for sale on Gunbroker and I would kill to grab it.

I've never seen anything quite like it.

Jim Boland built some outrageous guns, and was absolutely daring in his 1911 modifications

Just got this yesterday, STI Nitro 10. Better than expected. Fit and finish are very good. Lock up is nice and tight. Cant wait to play with 10mm. I know traditionalists wont like it but I dig the apocalyptic look.

1911 picture thread

Janitor,

At first glance I wanted to make fun of it, but the more I look the more intrigued I am. What am I looking at exactly? I see a Colt base gun, with a pinned (?) grip safety and flat hammer, some aggressive checkering, what I assume are wings attached to the grip panels to let your thumbs rest on the safety without dragging on the slide, a bull barrel and nicely blended compensator, and one hell of an I don't know what for a guide rod. Other than the magwell, do you know of anything else? And can you shed any light on the other mods?

This looks like a fairly "standard" competition type 1911 from Boland. Probably for the bowling pin or steel shooting type matches. probably one of the more innovative mods is the grip safety, as Jim could weld up the frame so that only the pad of the grip safety moved, not the whole beavertail. The result was a higher grip on the gun, compared to grip safeties of the period.

Look up the FK, or Super9 build, where he made a double stack 9mm out of a 1911, utilising HK P7M13 mags, and had the frame/slide rails inverted. The madness/genius will be quite evident
    Last edited by theJanitor; 04-30-2014 at 07:10 PM.

User Tag List