Page 294 of 308 FirstFirst ... 194244284292293294295296304 ... LastLast
Results 2,931 to 2,940 of 3074

Thread: 1911 picture thread

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    My young son asked me the other day if he could have a 1911. I told him that I already had one built for him, pending he comes of age, and is a responsible man. He's never seen this, but I did have this built with him in mind (when he was three )

Wow, that's beautiful.

Both my kids. 5 and 2 have a m64 with 2 ammo cans of loaded ammo. The guns are for when they can handle them, my son dryfires his regularly. And the ammo is when they move out.

I'd like to get them both a 1911 as well. I was thinking a garrison but now I'm thinking a tisas MAC jsoc.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    My young son asked me the other day if he could have a 1911. I told him that I already had one built for him, pending he comes of age, and is a responsible man. He's never seen this, but I did have this built with him in mind (when he was three )

Like 03RN said - that is beautiful! Janitor, Dude!-What’s the rest of the story? What’s the build, gunsmith etc?

I think passing along guns is very very special - I say this as someone who was never passed a family gun.

I look forward to passing my Wilson Combat CQB to one of the kids (or grandkids) when the day comes. 3 kids, one 1911 w/ sentimental value. I have a a few older S&W low dash pre-locks for the other 2, a 686 and 625.

“Passing along guns” could be a cool thread.

@KneeShot My dad never passed down a gun to me. He owned them the same way he owns pliers, as necessary tools. I decided that my son would get something special to me, in the hopes it would make it special to him. When I was deciding on which of my guns I was gonna save for my son, I realized that my collection was made primarily of used customs. They were spec'd by someone else, for whatever need THEY had. And while the stuff I had were important to the 1911 world, IMO, I knew they would mean little to my son. I figured when the time came, he'd treasure something that I got specifically for him and it's history would be solely ours

So I had Jim Garthwaite build me this pistol. I bought a new Colt from a dealer in Florida, so I would have original purchase receipts, boxes, etc. Jim had done a bunch of work for me before, but never a full house pistol. I asked for Jim to use a Larry Vickers ignition set, and an original King's Gunworks thumb safety. I had squirreled away those parts years earlier for a special build. I asked for a plain soldered front sight with no tritium or FO, as I was still 18 years from passing the pistol down, and there was no way Jim would still be in business to service it. I left everything else up to Jim. I asked for a classy pistol that required no special upkeep and yet could be refinished and maintained easily. And of course, Jim delivered.

Name:  IMG_20230719_110400.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  99.6 KB

My old workhorse of a Kimber. Bought in the mid 90s. The bottom pic is to show the breech face erosion. I lost track of the round count and since I don't really shoot USPSA anymore or carry the gun on the job it does not see the high round count it once did.

This is from an era when Kimber first brought out their 1911s and other brands had to change their offerings. The gun has a few scars on it from over the years and the bluing is all but gone, but it is a great feeling gun in the hands and as smooth as it gets.

Finally thought to dig through the box o’1911 stuff and get pics of the grip panels that came off my late FiLs 1911.

Name:  IMG_1480.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  63.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1481.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  72.7 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Name:  IMG_20230723_141203.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  94.8 KB

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post

My old workhorse of a Kimber. Bought in the mid 90s. The bottom pic is to show the breech face erosion. I lost track of the round count and since I don't really shoot USPSA anymore or carry the gun on the job it does not see the high round count it once did.

This is from an era when Kimber first brought out their 1911s and other brands had to change their offerings. The gun has a few scars on it from over the years and the bluing is all but gone, but it is a great feeling gun in the hands and as smooth as it gets.
    You don't see much of this these days, imo. Love the high mileage erosion... great pics!

User Tag List