Page 283 of 307 FirstFirst ... 183233273281282283284285293 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,830 of 3063

Thread: 1911 picture thread

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If it had HD sights it may have been a POW rather than a Govt issued gun. When the pros were in service with FBI and other DOJ elements Springfield had a great POW purchase program. The POW Pros are still grandfathered (for now) though .40 and .45 will go away eventually.
    It was a POW. As I’m sure you know the FBI has an interesting POW program that requires individual purchase guns to go through Quantico prior to being delivered to the agent. That’s where the ambi safety was installed - He mentioned the HD sights were added later.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    It was a POW. As I’m sure you know the FBI has an interesting POW program that requires individual purchase guns to go through Quantico prior to being delivered to the agent. That’s where the ambi safety was installed - He mentioned the HD sights were added later.
    Yes, they do the same thing with Glocks and POW carbines. The Bureau does not really have a field armorer program. Everything down to installing sites on a Glock requires a trip to the gun vault in Quantico or Huntsville.

My now retired DEA buddy is a .45 / 1911 nut and is kicking himself for not buying an SA PRO via the DOJ POW deal.

My current West coast carry gun…
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    I'm surprised at the wear from the tenicor holster. I haven't seen near that amount with mine.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I'm surprised at the wear from the tenicor holster. I haven't seen near that amount with mine.
    I'm gong to guess that your 1911 is either parked or cera coated.

The Black T is so thin....But supposedly a metal TREATMENT, like Tennifer, not a coating.
    I've seen zero rust or corrosion.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    I'm gong to guess that your 1911 is either parked or cera coated.

The Black T is so thin....But supposedly a metal TREATMENT, like Tennifer, not a coating.
    I've seen zero rust or corrosion.
    I’m pretty sure Black-T is a coating/spray and bake. Their website even states that “Black-T treatment, is a unique coating…..”. I think Hilton Yam also covered this, I could be wrong but I don’t think so. Black-T in my experience was on par with cerekote and better than blueing or parkerizing in terms of wear resistance. YMMV.

The holster wear looks awesome though!

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    I’m pretty sure Black-T is a coating/spray and bake. Their website even states that “Black-T treatment, is a unique coating…..”. I think Hilton Yam also covered this, I could be wrong but I don’t think so. Black-T in my experience was on par with cerekote and better than blueing or parkerizing in terms of wear resistance. YMMV.

The holster wear looks awesome though!
    Black-T was a teflon based coating that Walter Birdsong in Florence MS developed in the late 90's & eventually sold to the Bureau for some of their HRT 1911's & MP5s. Known b/c I went to Walter's facility in the day to have a 1911 or 2 + a few AR's done in both Black & Green-T. Nice fella, gave me a tour/history of his facility & product, met his 2 son's working there & saw an ass load of Pelican type cases stacked w/ MP5's inside waiting for Black-T to be applied.

Site Supporter
    Getting a new Springfield Loaded 45 ready to go.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Robinson; 04-01-2023 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Nothing better than pictures of guns with honest wear!

I remember several years ago when we were in the midst of trying to get 1911s approved one of the FBI firearm instructors came by the office. He showed me his Springfield Professional. It had VZ-style golf-ball pattern tan grips, a Trijicon HD sights, and the Wilson Combat Bullet-Proof ambi-safety that was mandatory for left-handed agents. The pistol had the most wear I'd ever seen (and probably have seen to this day) on a 1911 and it was beautiful! Too bad most of those have been or will be destroyed.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If it had HD sights it may have been a POW rather than a Govt issued gun. When the pros were in service with FBI and other DOJ elements Springfield had a great POW purchase program. The POW Pros are still grandfathered (for now) though .40 and .45 will go away eventually.
    Today is the last day for grandfathered Pros and .40’s, except the G27. G27 will go away in September.

End of an era.

Black-T was good shit for the 90s. At the time if you wanted shiny/white you could get stainless or hard chrome and (by modern standards) have a good corrosion resistant finish. If you wanted black/NotShiny your options were more limited. Aftermarket, especially. Black-T was better than bluing or park, which meant it was better than 99.9% of the available options you had for a refinish. For nitride/melonite/tennifer/etc at the time it was Glock or maybe some boutique maker that built ten guns a year. It would take a couple decades before that finish basically took over as the default option and people had to stop worrying about proactive measures to prevent rust.

IIRC Benchmade had a production version of the finish on their knives. I think they actually called it Black-T (black tigold?) but I don't recall if it was actually affiliated with Birdsong.

I spoke with Walter Birdsong briefly about having an aluminum Colt done up with Black-T. I recall the conversation being kind of funny because there was a point where it sounded like he cut over to a taped version of what was basically the sales pitch. The days before email, I guess. He did mention that they left the anodizing on aluminum guns and finished over it, presumably for strength.

User Tag List