Page 267 of 305 FirstFirst ... 167217257265266267268269277 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,670 of 3045

Thread: 1911 picture thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Not gonna lie, pics and stories of well sorted older Kimbers keep me looking at the new ones a local pusher has because they’re nicely priced, but I can’t get the horror stories out of my head. I figure there’s a reason they’re at the price point they are.
    New ones are over priced. I would stick with the series 70 style models. So either older series 1 guns or the various Warrior models.

With regard to the series 1 guns the collectors all seem to want the early Montana made guns strictly for the markings, the Yonkers New York marked series 1 guns are just as good in every practical and mechanical respect.

If you’re okay with one that shows honest where instead of having intrigued like a Faberge egg you can still find one at reasonable prices.

Expect to do some tuning, fitting or a parts swapping and do not rely on Kimber.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-14-2022 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    It's a blank, that the smith shapes to the frame, then checkers. it creates grip, without protruding from the frame
    Cool, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    New ones are over priced. I would stick with the series 70 style models. So either older series 1 guns or the various Warrior models.

With regard to the series 1 guns the collectors all seem to want the early Montana made guns strictly for the markings, the Yonkers New York marked series 1 guns are just as good in every practical and mechanical respect.

If you’re okay with one that shows honest where instead of having intrigued like a Faberge egg you can still find one at reasonable prices.

Expect to do some tuning, fitting or a parts swapping and do not rely on Kimber.
    Didn’t know that about MT vs NY, thanks! Honest wear is a plus. Some of my favorite firearms were acquired with honest wear.

The new ones I saw were $850-900 which is “reasonable” considering the money I’d dump into improving/fixing the slightly cheaper imports they carry. Of course I could just add the parts swap budget to the initial purchase budget and step up to another TRP, etc but I like to tinker.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Not gonna lie, pics and stories of well sorted older Kimbers keep me looking at the new ones a local pusher has because they’re nicely priced, but I can’t get the horror stories out of my head. I figure there’s a reason they’re at the price point they are.
    Finding a 90's example for a good price, and $3-400 worth of cleanup work at a gunsmith will serve anyone well. they are good guns and the first custom I ever commissioned was built on a great shooting kimber

Site Supporter
    Of this Kimber Stainless target 9mm and this Colt Commander 9mm the Colt took much more money to set it up.

The gun needed a new barrel, a new bushing (it was standing on the link like a motherfucker and had accuracy about on the level of a bad M&P9 1.0), a new thumb safety, a new, not plastic MSH (i like checkered MSHs), a 10-8 NM rear sight, and a trip to Novak to get a front sight dovetail because it was staked on because Colt hates the modern world. I also had to fit and tune the extractor and shape the ejector to avoid getting brass in my teeth.

The Kimber was cheaper because I got it used. I added a new bushing and fit and tuned a new extractor. It remained cheaper because I just live with the under cut barrel feet and it has been far superior in the accuracy department.

Neither gun ran out of the box. They both are now reliable and don't boink my head with brass anymore.

I'd buy a Kimber today over a Colt so long as you keep a traditional mind...thay is to say, none of the micro 9 guns that Kimber shidded out on to the market.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Speaking of Kimbers... this one is a LW Shadow Ghost 45. This model does not have a firing pin safety. I prefer to call it a Lightweight Government.

I am currently vetting this one to be a carry gun. So far only 100 rounds fired, but if it keeps working well after a bunch more testing I will carry this gun and order another just like it. I have some Talon front strap strips on order.

I have to confess I am pleasantly surprised by this pistol so far. It will never see as many rounds fired as my steel 1911s but it should make a nice carry gun.

Name:  kimber1.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  31.8 KB
    Last edited by Robinson; 05-14-2022 at 04:36 PM.

Site Supporter
    Dang, I actually don't hate that as a new release from Kimber. And no swarz safety?

Bravo

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Name:  8BE2683A-31D0-4EC1-8811-6F0EF12B0B4B.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  48.3 KB

I've had this Series 80 Colt for a long time. The sights, Commander-style hammer and grip safety went on in the `90s.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

From today's range session. Only shot the Garrison and TRP though...

Name:  IMG_5405.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  74.7 KB

Name:  problem or rookie numbers.JPG
Views: 668
Size:  46.2 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I'm pretty sure all Kimber 1911's were made in Yonkers, New York. The early guns were stamped Clackamas, Oregon, as that was where Kimber's headquarters were located, but they were all manufactured in the old Jericho plant in New York.

Kimber eventually moved their headquarters to Yonkers, and all their 1911's were marked Yonkers, New York, until their move to Troy, Alabama.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I'm pretty sure all Kimber 1911's were made in Yonkers, New York. The early guns were stamped Clackamas, Oregon, as that was where Kimber's headquarters were located, but they were all manufactured in the old Jericho plant in New York.

Kimber eventually moved their headquarters to Yonkers, and all their 1911's were marked Yonkers, New York, until their move to Troy, Alabama.
    Yes, they were all made in Yonkers.

The original Kimber was a custom/semi custom rifle maker which was essentially Bankrupt.

Jericho was making 1911s and 1911 frames / slides in Yonkers as an OEM for multiple companies and prior to "Kimber" had tried to sell their own 1911s (which were essentially the same as the Kimber series 1 guns) under the Ithaca brand.

The owners / new owners of Jericho bought Kimber for the name and it's association with the American West for marketing purposes as most 1911 fans don't associate the 1911 with Jewish businessmen in the suburbs of New York City.

"Kimber" didn't move their HQ to Yonkers, rather the owners of Jericho in Yonkers moved the "Kimber" name from OR to NY.

The Oregon marked guns were simply a byproduct of the time it took to formally transfer the manufacturers FFL.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-19-2022 at 10:00 PM.

User Tag List