Page 237 of 308 FirstFirst ... 137187227235236237238239247287 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,370 of 3074

Thread: 1911 picture thread

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Is that a Harrison retro rear sight? I've avoided looking at many GI models for a project because I need better sights but that looks like something I could live with and I could adjust the budget to just have front sight work done.
    Yes and no. Technically that rear sight is a Yost-Bonitz rear sight that was made without a notch. Back when that pistol was done in 2005 or so, Yost-Bonitz was the source for that part. Ted Yost had some sights with no notch cut into them as a result of a tool failure. John acquired some of them for me, so the notch could be cut to match the dimensions of the BoMar rear notch. It was paired with a front sight that John made to duplicate the front sight on another Harrison pistol that had a BoMar rear. My eyes are unusual in that small notches and thin blades work very well for me.

I am not sure of the details, but Ted Yost and John came to some arrangement, and John now offers his version of the rear sight. That sight design has led an interesting life. Back in 1997, Robar put a version of that sight on my first custom 1911-pattern pistol, a Colt Lightweight Commander. As Robbie Barrkman and Ted Yost have crossed paths professionally many times, I am not sure where the actual rear sight design originated.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Novak charges $75 for the rear sight machining. If I'm reading you right, I'd surely cut something else out of the budget before nixing the rear sight install. Or increase the budget by $75...

"Sights you can see, and a trigger you can manage" - Jeff Cooper
    True, if $75 is going to make or break a build, something has gone horribly wrong. I was thinking more about the Harrison Extreme Service rear sight and the work to have the slide machined for that style. I didn't know Novak would do machine work at all because I never can seem to get away from their custom pistol page to actually go look at their sights and services...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    True, if $75 is going to make or break a build, something has gone horribly wrong. I was thinking more about the Harrison Extreme Service rear sight and the work to have the slide machined for that style. I didn't know Novak would do machine work at all because I never can seem to get away from their custom pistol page to actually go look at their sights and services...
    I prefer the Heinie rear sight, as the blade is large, and more vertical, than the Novak. Most of the "combat" sights (10-8, etc) mimic that look, using the Novak cut. Heinie's sight for novak cuts are excellent too.

Heinie on my Garthwaite

A Norinco that I bought about 10 years ago came with the Harrison retro sight and I really like it for what it is, second to the 10-8 sight or a Bomar/clone. Novaks have never done much for me.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    I have the Harrison sight on my custom Colt Commander. I really like it, but was intentionally going for a traditionally styled sight that was a little more carry friendly.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    A Norinco that I bought about 10 years ago came with the Harrison retro sight and I really like it for what it is, second to the 10-8 sight or a Bomar/clone. Novaks have never done much for me.
    I'm a big fan of the 10-8 GI style sight I have in my Commander.

Bomars however...I hate, owing to an experience launching the rear blade from my Range Officer multiple times until I just got a fixed sight from Harrison.

Installing that was an infernal pain in the rear.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I'm a big fan of the 10-8 GI style sight I have in my Commander.

Bomars however...I hate, owing to an experience launching the rear blade from my Range Officer multiple times until I just got a fixed sight from Harrison.

Installing that was an infernal pain in the rear.

I agree that they are fragile, and was more referring to the sight picture they offer. Excellent for a target pistol but not so much on a serious use pistol.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I prefer the Heinie rear sight, as the blade is large, and more vertical, than the Novak. Most of the "combat" sights (10-8, etc) mimic that look, using the Novak cut. Heinie's sight for novak cuts are excellent too.

Heinie on my Garthwaite

This is the truth nothing compares to Heinie rear sights IMO and I’ve messed with them all. .125 rear notch on the Slant Pro with a .125 or .115 front blade is blissful.
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I agree that they are fragile, and was more referring to the sight picture they offer. Excellent for a target pistol but not so much on a serious use pistol.
    Take a look at the Heines it is a bit of a PITA because they use a proprietary dovetail but they provide the closest thing to a Bomar sight picture.

And pics....
    Name:  21A167DE-8071-4186-897D-8E7DF2E5AA6C.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  70.2 KB
    Name:  F2091ED8-AC42-4289-AF63-117AACE80038.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  108.8 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    This is the truth nothing compares to Heinie rear sights IMO and I’ve messed with them all. .125 rear notch on the Slant Pro with a .125 or .115 front blade is blissful.

Take a look at the Heines it is a bit of a PITA because they use a proprietary dovetail but they provide the closest thing to a Bomar sight picture.

And pics....
    Name:  21A167DE-8071-4186-897D-8E7DF2E5AA6C.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  70.2 KB
    Name:  F2091ED8-AC42-4289-AF63-117AACE80038.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  108.8 KB
    NPV over here flexing with that gorgeous looking heater.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    NPV over here flexing with that gorgeous looking heater.
    I gotta make up some ground after posting that ugly ass Les Baer forever

User Tag List