Page 232 of 308 FirstFirst ... 132182222230231232233234242282 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,320 of 3074

Thread: 1911 picture thread

@rd62, that Commander looks great!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Way out of place with all the retro and classic builds lately, and I need to post better pics later, but here’s the new EDC and its JMCK and PHLster goodness. There’s a separate thread for how it’s doing but I’ll just say it runs great and I’m so far very glad I switched to a 1911. (Gun is an Ed Brown EVO KC9)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Shot these 2 Sunday (I need to post an update the "What did you shoot today" thread)

Name:  IMG_3426.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  102.4 KB

Now I find myself with a dilemma. I bought the full rail because it was a good deal and I liked the look and feel. After I got home I realized my birth year is part of the serial number so I thought about using it as the basis for a 50th birthday pistol. Nothing super major, Chambers RDS mount and reliability package from whichever approved installer I went with, TLR-1 or 2, a couple of reliable 10rd mags (is there such a thing?) and have a bitchin' fighting pistol for LARPing at the range and around the house.

Except I found out Sunday I shoot the non-rail just as good (maybe better) but with less effort. I expected the heavier pistol to shoot flatter and recoil less but found almost the opposite. I really had to manhandle the full rail to get back on target which was very surprising. And the results were repeatable on a B-8 at 7 yards shooting about 1rd/sec across 3 brands (Federal, Precision One, Freedom Munitions) and 2 weights (200gr, 230gr) of FMJ.

I'm stumped, slightly disappointed and pondering Plan B which might be the same build but on a 9mm Operator or SW1911.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

You could chop the dust cover back to normal 1911 length. The added weight of the wider full length frames cut back is a common thing in competitive SS pistols and can make for a very flat tracking blaster...or just ditch it, the bull barrel is gonna have an effect on the feel as well, no changing that.

Site Supporter
    Please don't chop that full rail operator! If I hadn't just laid out my 1911 cash, I'd make you an offer!

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Shot these 2 Sunday (I need to post an update the "What did you shoot today" thread)

Name:  IMG_3426.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  102.4 KB

Now I find myself with a dilemma. I bought the full rail because it was a good deal and I liked the look and feel. After I got home I realized my birth year is part of the serial number so I thought about using it as the basis for a 50th birthday pistol. Nothing super major, Chambers RDS mount and reliability package from whichever approved installer I went with, TLR-1 or 2, a couple of reliable 10rd mags (is there such a thing?) and have a bitchin' fighting pistol for LARPing at the range and around the house.

Except I found out Sunday I shoot the non-rail just as good (maybe better) but with less effort. I expected the heavier pistol to shoot flatter and recoil less but found almost the opposite. I really had to manhandle the full rail to get back on target which was very surprising. And the results were repeatable on a B-8 at 7 yards shooting about 1rd/sec across 3 brands (Federal, Precision One, Freedom Munitions) and 2 weights (200gr, 230gr) of FMJ.

I'm stumped, slightly disappointed and pondering Plan B which might be the same build but on a 9mm Operator or SW1911.
    Another plea to save the Operator from getting the chop. Mine shot right up there with my CQBs.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Ode to past heroes.

Name:  20201112_180155.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  73.0 KBName:  20201112_180214.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  43.8 KBName:  20201112_180128.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  84.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    You could chop the dust cover back to normal 1911 length. The added weight of the wider full length frames cut back is a common thing in competitive SS pistols and can make for a very flat tracking blaster...or just ditch it, the bull barrel is gonna have an effect on the feel as well, no changing that.
    I didn't think about the bull barrel making a difference. I wonder if the bushingless Champions are the same way? My shooting was overall mediocre at best all day* so it's going to get at least one more range trip before I start making decisions which leads me to:
    Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    Please don't chop that full rail operator! If I hadn't just laid out my 1911 cash, I'd make you an offer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Another plea to save the Operator from getting the chop. Mine shot right up there with my CQBs.
    The only two options for chopping are going to be a Chambers RDS cut or chopped to someone else's collection if I can't get comfortable with it.

*My best group of the day was 35rds of CCI SV at 7yds. I picked up a bad flinch after a couple of hours at the range and it was exacerbated by my frustration trying to get the full rail to meet my expectations. I finally installed my AA .22 conversion on the no rail TRP and went to town.

Name:  IMG_3421.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  38.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_3420.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  65.9 KB

I still think I should be able to do better offhand at 7yds but considering the frustration and fatigue, I'm ok with it.

P-Forum made me do it!

Whoever “fit” this Nowlin barrel did a trash job so I’ll be using the stock springer barrel but figured I’d post a pic of the goods. I can’t get over the slide stop and slide interface I’ve had full customs that weren’t this good, nice job Springfield. Slide to frame fit is also impressive, better than my Professional 9mm and Dan Wessons I’ve owned.

Name:  6C66D439-A183-4D67-9089-849534CD3146.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  101.0 KB
    Name:  056A1752-0159-4D98-8DB9-53E1EB291B43.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  35.2 KB
    Name:  01688E8D-0B8E-41F1-B61A-1DA9D719E60B.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  37.8 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post

The only two options for chopping are going to be a Chambers RDS cut or chopped to someone else's collection if I can't get comfortable with it.
    Thank you sweet baby Jesus! If I had the scratch I'd make you an offer if it doesn't live up to expectations.

User Tag List