Page 209 of 308 FirstFirst ... 109159199207208209210211219259 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,090 of 3074

Thread: 1911 picture thread

Springfield Armory re-build

Just finished this Springfield Armory re-build. The gun is being given as a gift to a friend of the local PD. Long story short a bunch of cops got together and made it happen for a long time friend. Guy runs a business in a rough part of town and got to know a few beat cops. Next thing you know he's got a bunch of cop buddies. He's always willing to help out and offer a dry safe place to take a break over the years. Gun was donated by one of the group and started off as a plain Jane stainless steel mill spec. I was somewhat limited as to what I could do because some of the parts were donated to keep cost down as much as possible. Never the less I think it turned out pretty well. We got him a display case and a shoulder holster to go along with it. He's been saying he's always wanted a 1911 but isn't the kind of guy to buy himself anything.

Starting point:
    Name:  IMG_5717.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  66.6 KB

Name:  IMG_5718.jpg
Views: 1201
Size:  61.8 KB

Continued in next post.

Finished:
    Name:  DSC_0009.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  53.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_6818.jpg
Views: 1236
Size:  88.2 KB
    Name:  DSC_0063.jpg
Views: 1159
Size:  43.8 KB

Name:  IMG_6839.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  46.1 KB
    Name:  DSC_0035.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  57.5 KB
    Last edited by Serpico1985; 04-12-2020 at 03:56 PM.

Highlights:

-Only original parts are the frame, slide and firing pin.
    -Pete Single 25LPI checkering and high cut front strap.
    -Pete also helped me out with the barrel fit.
    -All new ignition parts, S&A magwell and grip safety, ambi-safety, Harrison slide stop, EGW barrel bushing etc.
    -Fiber optic front sight made from blank and zeroed with carry ammo, 10-8 rear sight.
    -Gun was completely detailed to the best of my ability and "softened" for carry.

Had a great time doing this gun. I know it's soon to be owner and am glad to have been a part.

Site Supporter
    Name:  2A323337-0520-4C07-86B7-62E0DD2347B9.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  89.4 KB
    Valor Blue in 9mm. S&A magwell

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico1985 View Post
    Highlights:

-Only original parts are the frame, slide and firing pin.
    -Pete Single 25LPI checkering and high cut front strap.
    -Pete also helped me out with the barrel fit.
    -All new ignition parts, S&A magwell and grip safety, ambi-safety, Harrison slide stop, EGW barrel bushing etc.
    -Fiber optic front sight made from blank and zeroed with carry ammo, 10-8 rear sight.
    -Gun was completely detailed to the best of my ability and "softened" for carry.

Had a great time doing this gun. I know it's soon to be owner and am glad to have been a part.
    That’s one of the coolest things I’ve seen in this forum. You guys are awesome.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    New grips before I put this gun away for my son. It’ll be quite a few more years before he can have it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It should probably be embarrassing to me how many pictures of @theJanitor ‘s guns I have downloaded over the last decade of being on four or five of the same 1911 forums. I have at least 10 pictures of this one. I had to repost it as it’s one of the few examples where a tool transcends into art. Something truly spiritual about this gun. And the passing of it to a son. I purchased the above pictured Valor blue as a poor mans “Janitor Special”!

Or maybe that’s the Maker’s Mark talking.

Site Supporter
    So I used the Snapseed app that @StraitR and @newyork suggested. Great information; easy to use.
    Name:  4550DF3E-0AF6-4714-8173-C4AC1C3C45AF.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  57.3 KB

Colt I’m passing to MY boy.

Name:  FEDDF189-D5A2-4CE5-88FF-A04F6EA73C93.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  55.6 KB

And ’churched-up’ pic of it’s little brother- the Valor Blue.
    Last edited by TOTS; 04-19-2020 at 11:14 AM.

This was requested as a spillover from a grip safety thread, after I posted a photo of @Ned Christiansen grip safety modification.

This thread is many years and many posts long, I am nearly certain that some of my pics are somewhere here. The gun itself is a part of a project known as Jury 5, named after a guy who commissioned five consecutively numbered stainless Colts from five top 1911 pistolsmiths in the country. I forgot the entire line up, I think @pistolwrench Chuck Rogers built one, probably Yost and Harrison too. I was able to get Ned's gun from a reseller a few year's later.

Ned had told me that he himself had issues with 1911 grip safety activation due to its pivoting nature, pushing the safety up rather than forward. His solution was to split it vertically. The left part is the beavertail part and it doesn't move. The right part is the actual safety that's disconnected from beavertail so it can't be pushed up, it only moves forward. It does work very well that way. I can make the conventional safety not disengage, although only if I try intentionally. This thing I cannot not deactivate.

I know Ned had a patent on this, not sure where things are now. He has built a number of guns with this mod but not too many, I think.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I think Ned makes some seriously cool and nice 1911's. He also has a few "innovations" that address specific issues with the 1911 and it's users that are very well thought out.

Extra-Stout Plunger Tubes
    MSH-F Mainspring housing
    The Fall Arrest hammer and thumb safety

I had never heard of this modification to the grip safety, thanks for sharing YVK!

User Tag List