Page 152 of 308 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162202252 ... LastLast
Results 1,511 to 1,520 of 3074

Thread: 1911 picture thread

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    That half finished magazine looks a lot like some of the first Colt magazines from 100 years ago. What do you know about it?
    I wondered if anyone would notice that mag.

AFAIK it's an original. We bought and moved into my in-laws house after my FiL passed and my MiL couldn't stay alone anymore. I was cleaning out a kitchen cabinet and found a ball of twine wrapped around something. I started unraveling the twine and saw the bottom of the mag so I went to town unraveling the twine as fast as I could and I figured the blue was worn away because of being wrapped up in twine. When I started getting deeper into 1911s I started seeing references to 2 tone mags so I posted it on a couple of 1911 forums and the consensus was it's an original 2 tone. FiL was something of a pack rat so there's no telling how or when he came by it.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Check the toe of the floorplate on that mag. It might have a letter that will indicate the manufacturer.

I'm betting on a B.

I learned something about 1911's today.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

“If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I wondered if anyone would notice that mag.

AFAIK it's an original. We bought and moved into my in-laws house after my FiL passed and my MiL couldn't stay alone anymore. I was cleaning out a kitchen cabinet and found a ball of twine wrapped around something. I started unraveling the twine and saw the bottom of the mag so I went to town unraveling the twine as fast as I could and I figured the blue was worn away because of being wrapped up in twine. When I started getting deeper into 1911s I started seeing references to 2 tone mags so I posted it on a couple of 1911 forums and the consensus was it's an original 2 tone. FiL was something of a pack rat so there's no telling how or when he came by it.
    Educate me. Why are there 2 tone mags that are originals?

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Educate me. Why are there 2 tone mags that are originals?
    http://coolgunsite.com/pistols/Magazines.htm
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I learned something about 1911's today.

Yep. Welded base mags are not very durable when it comes to slide lock reloads. I carry with a welded base mag in the gun, ETMs with the wide base plate on the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Yep. Welded base mags are not very durable when it comes to slide lock reloads. I carry with a welded base mag in the gun, ETMs with the wide base plate on the belt.
    Same here. I like the footprint of the ETM base pads for helping me acquire and index the mag for a reload.
    Full disclosure: I am a freelance professional photographer/cinematographer for the firearms and defense industry, among others.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I was talking about the blood blister from slamming that thing home. It got about three times that size before I ended up draining it. But that's also good to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

I thought you were talking about the toe of the plate bent down and the welds about to break.

User Tag List